This meal is good for your soul, it’s simple to make and is a great hearty dinner. Make a big batch up and freeze the extras for later meals.
- 1 onion
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1-2 cloves of garlic
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red chilli/jalapeño
- 5-6 sundried tomatoes (drained)
- 1 carrot
- 1 courgette
- ½ cup of veg stock
- 1 can kidney beans (rinsed and drained)
- 1 small can of sweetcorn (drained)
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 1 can of lentils (pre-cooked, or cook first)
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: 1-2 tbsp of maple syrup for a little sweetness in the chilli
- Dice the onion, garlic, pepper, chilli, dried tomatoes, carrot and courgette into small pieces.
- Throw all these ingredients into a pan with oil and fry them for 3 minutes on a low heat.
- Add the stock, beans, sweetcorn and tomatoes and stir well. Add the tomato purée and season with salt, pepper, cumin and oregano.
- Mix the lentils in too and let it all simmer on medium heat for 20 mins, stirring occasionally.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve with toasted tortillas, corn chips or brown rice on the side and a dollop of (vegan) sour cream and guacamole if desired.