Smooth, creamy and delicious on all desserts or cakes, this salted caramel sauce is a condiment you should have in your fridge at all time. If you’re not a big fan of salt feel free to remove the salt, however, it does take this sauce to the next level.
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup water
- 6 tablespoons salted butter, cut into pieces
- ½ cup heavy cream, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon coarse sea salt (optional)
- Add the sugar and water to a 3-quart saucepan set over medium heat. Stir until combined. Do Not Stir Again! Simply swirl the saucepan until the sugar has melted and turns a light amber colour. If you use a candy or instant-read thermometer, the mixture should register 350º at this point.
- Carefully add your butter and whisk until all the butter has melted.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and slowly pour in the cream, whisking constantly until all of the cream has been incorporated. Whisk in the sea salt and set aside to cool.
- Allow to cool about 5 minutes and then pour into an airtight container for storing in the refrigerator.