- 1 1/2 cups of sieved pumpkin
Wash a small grey skinned or butternut pumpkin. Halve and scoop stringy bits and seeds out. Save a few seeds for the garden, just let them dry on a paper towel and keep in a paper envelope. Place pumpkin halves on a baking tray flesh side down and add a cup of water. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180c for about 90 minutes until the flesh is tender.
Let it cool then scoop out flesh and process in a blender or food processor until smooth.
- 1 cup of brown sugar
- 200 mls of cream
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 1tbsp maple syrup (optional)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 eggs plus 1 for glaze
- Pre-heat the oven to 220C
- Mix eggs, spices, sugar and pumpkin in a large bowl until smooth and creamy.
- Roll sweet crust pastry and place in a 23cm pie baking dish. Trim dough evenly around the edge leaving a small overhang and pinch edges.
- Beat remaining egg with 1 tbsp of cream and glaze edges of pie.
- Pour pie mix into the pastry and bake at 220c for 10 mins and then a further 25-30 mins at 180c or until filling is firm but with a bit of wobble.
- Remove and cool on a wire rack.
Serve cool or warm with lashings of cream or crème fraiche and a drizzle of maple syrup.