No-one is recognised as knowing more about Hollywood and celebrities than David Hartnell MNZM. He’s not only spent a lifetime reporting on Hollywood’s trivia, gossip and scandals, but he counts many celebrities among his personal friends. Every Monday morning David will give you an exclusive weekly update on the gossip, scandals and trivia of Hollywood’s elite.
David is an award winning broadcaster and columnist and he is also the patron of The Variety Artists Club of New Zealand Inc.
Her Majesty The Queen, awarded David the Insignia of a Member of the New Zealand Order of Merit (formerly an MBE) in the Queen’s birthday Honours list 2011 for his recognition for his services to entertainment.
In 2012 he was made an Ambassador St James Saviours, the trust formed to save the iconic Auckland theatre. In 2014 he was made an Ambassador to the Prostate Cancer Foundation of New Zealand.
In 2016 he was made Patron of the Brotherhood of Auckland Magicians.
Be in to win monthly DVDs
…simply answer a question correctly, from this week’s column and you will be entered into the draw.
This week: Which Apollo Mission was the subject of a movie starring Tom Hanks?
Answer by clicking here.
22nd May 2017
I’m not one to gossip but………………The Strictly Come Dancing UK TV bosses have approached Dame Joan Collins to be the show’s golden oldie. Dame Joan, who will be 84 on Tuesday, is a huge fan and is fit enough to dance, having revealed she can still to the splits.
If she signs, she will become the hit BBC One show’s oldest contestant yet. Dame Joan was a megastar in the 1980s US soap and a source said: “She’d bring plenty of glitz and old-school glamour to the dance floor, and she’s full of energy.
“She’d be a real draw with older viewers too. The bosses are going all out to get her to sign up.” The oldest contestant to date is Johnny Ball, who was 74.
Last year’s contestant Lesley Joseph is currently the oldest female, at 70. The BBC said: “We do not comment on speculation.”
Mamma Mia is officially heading back to theaters!
Universal just announced that they are moving forward with Mamma Mia: Here We Go Again!, a sequel to the 2008 hit movie.
According to the studio’s announcement, the sequel is set to feature Abba songs not featured in the original film, “along with some reprised favourites.”
While the studio did not reveal the new film’s plot, sources say that it could focus on Meryl Streep, Colin Firth and Pierce Brosnan’s characters character’s years before the original takes place. I hope they don’t let Pierce sing again this time!!!!!!!
Mamma Mia: Here We Go Again! is set to hit theaters on July 20, 2018
With puzzling questions circling around Debbie Reynolds’ sudden death, the showbiz icon’s body might be exhumed for an autopsy! That’s the bombshell conclusion of a top California investigator and a family insider, who tell Radar they suspect a cover-up has concealed the real cause of the “Singin’ in the Rain” star’s tragic passing! Adding to the mystery is the looming family war over Debbie’s $70 MILLION (US) fortune!
“Since Debbie’s doctor didn’t inspect her body, he couldn’t have seen any possible signs she killed herself by a drug overdose,” says a family friend. I really hope that this bit of gossip doing the rounds is completely untrue!
She’s Hollywood royalty and he was famous for shouting “You’re Fired”.
But while Dame Joan Collins and Donald Trump might seem like unlikely pals, their friendship actually goes right back to the 1980s – 30 years before he moved into the White House.
Then a film star, Joan met Donald, who is now 70, after befriending his first wife Ivana on the party scene.
Even then Trump’s ambition and ruthless side was clear to Joan – as she later admitted she used him for inspiration for her superbitch character Alexis Carrington in Dynasty.
Joan, 83, said: “I based Alexis on Donald Trump – Alexis is very tough in business. Ivana was a very good friend of mine.”
Do Brooklyn Beckham’s parents, David Beckham and Victoria Beckham, really give him thousands of dollars to spend at nightclubs if he gets good grades?
According to the US gossip magazine Star, the 18-year-old’s famous parents bribe him to do well in school by offering him an extravagant partying allowance in exchange for good marks. A supposed “source” tells the magazine that the teen will regularly “drop $1,000 (US) to $3,000(US)” on a single night of clubbing, with his expenses supposedly including bodyguards, limos and rounds of drinks for him and a large group of friends.
“Victoria would like him to be a little less flashy,” adds the outlet’s dubious insider. “But if David knows there’s a girl Brooklyn is hoping to impress, he’ll slip him an extra $1,000 (US) for fancy champagne.” But a rep for the Beckham family, who exclusively assures me the magazine’s entire report, is simply “ridiculous.” Although it’s not uncommon for parents to reward their children when they get good grades, the assertion that David and Victoria encourage their son to go wild at nightclubs is simply false.
Of course, I’m not at all surprised by the tabloid’s phony story. Previously Star’s sister publication OK! Was also busted about a story, when it falsely claimed last year that Brooklyn was proposing to Chloe Grace Moretz.. Instead, the pair broke up shortly after that report was published. I’m convinced this latest article about the Brooklyn is equally wrong!
Angelina Jolie Just Bought the Cecil B. DeMille Estate (For $25 Million (US))
Angelina has got a lot of money and more than a few kids (I lost count) and it seems after the split from Brad Pitt, she might be setting down roots in Los Angeles.
2000 De Mille Drive is the address of historic Cecil B. DeMille Estate. If you don’t know, DeMille was the famed Hollywood mogul whose name was uttered by Gloria Swanson at the end of Sunset Boulevard…
“I’m ready for my close up, Mr. DeMille.“
DeMille bought the property for $27, 893 (US) in 1916. It is set on 2.1 elevated acres in gated Laughlin Park and includes a spectacular Beaux Arts Style mansion built in 1913 with 6 bedrooms and 10 bathrooms, a beautiful pool house and a studio house with a separate entrance. A six-year renovation and restoration was sensitive to original details, but added some modern amenities. As would be necessary for security, it is gated and walled. It has beautiful gardens, paths and multiple sitting areas and a classic Hollywood-style pool with arched fountains are surrounded by rolling lawns, rose gardens and dramatic views of Griffith Observatory and out to the Pacific Ocean.
In other words, perfection. I visited the house many years ago, and it is out of this world a touch of real old Hollywood at it’s very very best. Here a look through the house for your eyes only.
Congratulation Emmerdale on your English BAFTA award win well deserved!
Jude Law’s The Young Pope is getting a new twist – a new series called The New Pope with HBO!
Casting has not been announced so it’s unknown if Jude will return to reprise his role, or if it will be an entirely new cast. The show is expected to begin production next year in Italy; The show will once again be helmed by Paolo Sorrentino. Stay tuned as casting and more information is revealed! In The Young Pope, Jude played the first American Pope who turned the Vatican upside down.
The curlers, headscarf and pinny worn by Coronation Street battleaxe Hilda Ogden are set to go under the hammer. The items will be sold at auction by the family of actress Jean Alexander, who died last year.
The sale will also include many of Miss Alexander’s personal items, including her teddy bear, acting awards and a book given to her by Sir Laurence Olivier. A spokesman for auctioneers Outhwaite and Litherland said: “Jean was loved by millions of people all over the world as Hilda, she was even big in Australia and New Zealand, so we are expecting interest from all over.”It is difficult to say how much things will sell for, it’s the unknown. It will be down to her star power.”
The sale is being organised by Miss Alexander’s niece Sonia Hearld and her sister Valerie Thewlis, after Miss Hearld found the pink pinafore in her aunt’s wardrobe. She told the Manchester Evening News there was a note attached to the garment which read: “Hilda’s curlers, headscarf and pinny”. The outfit was synonymous with Hilda, who wore them from the first time she appeared on the soap in 1964 until her last episode on Christmas Day 1987.
Lorde looks simply stunning in a Dior look on the cover of Elle magazine’s June 2017 issue.
Here’s what the 20-year-old singer had to share with the mag:
On having a private creative process: “Everyone’s making music in L.A. now — which is great if you aren’t the shyest, most introverted nerd. I found it a little too social. I made my first record in New Zealand with very little discourse—I was just my own unit. In L.A., it’s very, ‘Oh, what project are you working on?’ I was like, ‘I need to be out of this.’”
On how she balances her celebrity status and personal creative process: “New Zealand. That’s why I am so passionate about going home. Most of my friends are people I knew before I was famous. I’m very thankful that I never feel like the smartest person in the room, or the coolest person in the room, or the funniest. When I’m there, I’m just there. People forget that I’ve done anything. They say, ‘Ella’s this weird old dowager with a nice house.’”
Anne Hathaway is opening up about how being a mother has changed her life.
The 34-year-old actress, who welcomed her son Jonathan last year, says she has felt more at peace since becoming a mom.
“I’m happy when things are simple. Since having a kid, I find it a lot easier to do that,” she told Metro.
Anne continued, “The day begins with a checklist: Is he breathing? Is he healthy? Is he growing? Is he thriving? If I get four yeses it’s really hard to upset my day.”
“I just wasn’t feeling satisfied by the other stuff. It was too stressful and kept me at a distance from things that I loved…I think I was searching like everybody for greater peace,” she added
David Hasselhoff’s daughter, Hayley, was arrested for DUI in Los Angeles this past weekend after passing out while driving on the freeway.
The 24-year-old actress fell asleep behind the wheel of her Mercedes on the 101 Freeway and her car subsequently came to a stop on an off-ramp. Police reportedly found Hayley unconscious with her foot on the break when they arrived at the scene. The actress, who reportedly smelled of alcohol and failed a field sobriety test, was then transported by paramedics to a hospital. After being released from the facility, she was booked at a nearby jail.
In February 2013, it was widely reported that David had been arrested and charged with DUI, but she denied the claims. Her lawyer admitted that she was pulled over for speeding and received a citation, but refuted the rumors she was arrested and charged with a DUI.
Both of the actress’s parents have also struggled with alcohol issues. In 2007, a video filmed by Hasselhoff’s then-teenage sister, Taylor, showed their father laying on the floor drunk and shirtless while eating a hamburger. Meanwhile, the actress’s mom, Pamela Bach, was arrested twice for DUI in 2009 and 2010.
Salma Hayek and her mother Diana Jimenez take the cover of Hola! USA’s May 2017 issue.
Here’s what the 50-year-old actress had to share with the mag:
On her surprising fear: “I suffer from stage fright. No one would know it, but I get it really, really bad. If you take the camera away and put me in front of an audience, I just die. Once I get onto stage, you can’t tell. But then I can’t do anything else the rest of the day because I’m so exhausted.”
On being a mother: “Feeling responsible helps you develop as a human being…You learn a lot about yourself when you do something for someone else.”
Diana, on her daughter: “I always knew that Salmita would be something big in her life because of her personality, her way of always working for what she wants, but she surprises me. She continues to surprise me more and more. There was one thing that I wanted: that was for Salma to be free to grow up and do whatever she wanted.”
Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson is showing off his huge bicep on the cover of GQ magazine’s June 2017 issue.
Here’s what the 45-year-old Baywatch star had to share with the mag:
On why he didn’t endorse Hillary Clinton or Donald Trump: “I feel like I’m in a position now where my word carries a lot of weight and influence, which of course is why they want the endorsement. But I also have a tremendous amount of respect for the process and felt like if I did share my political views publicly, a few things would happen—and these are all conversations I have with myself, in the gym at four o’clock in the morning—I felt like it would either (a) make people unhappy with the thought of whatever my political view was. And, also, it might sway an opinion, which I didn’t want to do.”
On if he would run for President: “I think that it’s a real possibility. A year ago, it started coming up more and more. There was a real sense of earnestness, which made me go home and think ‘Let me really rethink my answer and make sure I am giving an answer that is truthful and also respectful.’”
On how he believes Trump is doing: “Mmm… With any job you come into, you’ve got to prove yourself. And…Personally, I feel that if I were president, poise would be important. Leadership would be important. Taking responsibility for everybody. [If I didn’t agree with someone] on something, I wouldn’t shut them out. I would actually include them. The first thing we’d do is we’d come and sit down and we’d talk about it. It’s hard to categorize right now how I think he’s doing, other than to tell you how I would operate, what I would like to see….I’d like to see a better leadership. I’d like to see a greater leadership. When there’s a disagreement, and you have a large group of people that you’re in a disagreement with—for example, the media—I feel like it informs me that I could be better. We all have issues, and we all gotta work our sh*t out. And I feel like one of the qualities of a great leader is not shutting people out. I miss that part. Even if we disagree, we’ve got to figure it out.”
Kim Kardashian recently spoke out about Caitlyn Jenner’s harsh words in her new memoir, and revealed they haven’t spoken for a bit.
Now, Caitlyn has confirmed that it’s been quite a while since she’s spoken to Kim.
”I love Kimberly; I think she’s a wonderful person. But, well, to be honest with you – I really haven’t talked to her in a long time. I’ve kind of let everything calm down. So I kind of stay – you know, I keep my distance. I’m out there trying to make a difference in the world. There’s a lot of drama in the Kardashian family. This is my book about my opinions on things that had happened with me and my family. Any time I express my opinion, you know, with my family, there are always challenges in doing that,” Caitlyn said on Australia’s The Today Show.
Caitlyn‘s book, “The Secrets of My Life,” is available now.
The upcoming movie The Beguiled is likely going to be a big sleeper hit this summer and a new poster for the film was just released!
Nicole Kidman, Kirsten Dunst and Elle Fanning are featured on the new poster for the movie, set to hit limited theaters on June 23 and more theaters a week later.
The story unfolds during the Civil War, at a Southern girls’ boarding school. Its sheltered young women take in an injured enemy soldier (Colin Farrell). As they provide refuge and tend to his wounds, the house is taken over with sexual tension and dangerous rivalries, and taboos are broken in an unexpected turn of events.
The film, written and directed by Sofia Coppola, will debut at the Cannes Film Festival.
An $8.8million(US) necklace that belonged to Dame Elizabeth Taylor is at the center of a lengthy legal battle after the Hollywood icon’s estate accused Christie’s auction house of botching the sale.
The diamond and ruby necklace – known as the ‘Taj Mahal’ – was famously given to the actress as a 40th birthday gift in 1972 by her then-husband Richard Burton.
A new lawsuit filed in Manhattan’s Supreme Court last week by Taylor’s estate has accused the auction house of falsely advertising the pendant when it was up for sale as once belonging to the Indian emperor behind the creation of the Taj Mahal, Page Six reports.
Christie’s sold the heart-shaped pendant to an anonymous VIP buyer for a whopping $8.8million (US) at an auction of the legendary star’s jewelry collection in New York in 2011 – the same year she died.
The auction house then gave Taylor’s estate the proceeds of the sale. But months later, Christie’s refunded the sale when the buyer demanded his money back after realizing the necklace may not have belonged to emperor Shah Jahan, according to the lawsuit.
The auction house now has the necklace but wants Taylor’s estate to give them back the money from the sale.
Taylor’s estate has refused, claiming Christie’s voided the sale unreasonably.
The lawsuit claims Christie’s listed the diamond in its catalog as simply as an ‘Indian diamond’, but representatives later made television appearances saying it belonged to Indian royalty.
The Hollywood star’s estate alleges that Christie’s own research about the necklace revealed ‘doubts about the diamond’s age and supposed ownership by Shah Jahan well in advance of the auctions’.
The lawsuit also alleges that Christie’s is holding on to some of Taylor’s other possessions, including a $3 million (US) emerald and diamond Bulgari ring.
Taylor’s estate initially sued Christie’s in federal court in 2015 but the case was dismissed as both parties agreed to try and settle the matter privately.
Her estate filed a new lawsuit in state court on March 11 after those talks are believed to have failed. A Christie’s representative has disputed the claims made in the lawsuit.
Lifetime has given the go-ahead to the original movie Cocaine Godmother starring Catherine Zeta-Jones and directed by Guillermo Navarro. Based on the life of Miami drug lord Griselda Blanco, Cocaine Godmother will go into production this year and premiere in 2018 on Lifetime. Blanco was living in Queens, NY, when she became embroiled with local drug runners. After moving to Miami to expand her empire, the death of her second husband gave rise to her nickname The Black Widow. She later moved to California, was deported to Colombia and was gunned down in 2012. She was suspected of ordering more than 200 murders.
Shockaholic, by Carrie Fisher
I have throughly enjoyed Carrie Fisher’s wild and wacky book over the years, but Shockaholic slipped though my net.
Carrie had finally stopped talking about herself. This time, the electro-convulsive shock therapy she’s been undergoing is threatening to wipe out (what’s left of) her memory. But get ready for a shock of your own. Not only doesn’t she mind paying the second electric bill, she loves the high-voltage treatments.
It’s been a roller coaster of a few years for Carrie since her Tony- and Emmy-nominated, one-woman Broadway show and New York Times bestselling book Wishful Drinking. She not only lost her beloved father, but also her once-upon-a-very-brief-time stepmother, Elizabeth Taylor, as well as over forty pounds of unwanted flesh, all the while staying sober and sane-ish. And she wants to tell you, dear reader, all about it. She wants you to someday be able to remind her how Elizabeth Taylor settles a score, how she and Michael Jackson became friends, or how she ended up sparring with Ted Kennedy on a dinner date. And she especially wants to preserve her memories of Eddie Fisher.
Shockaholic is laugh-out-loud funny, acerbic, and witty as hell. But it also reveals a new side of Carrie Fisher that may even bring a pleasant shock your way: it is contemplative, vulnerable, and ultimately and quite tender. The late Carrie has left quite a legacy for us all to enjoy for years to come.
Earlier this month, it was announced that four Game of Thrones spinoffs are in the works, but now, a fifth has emerged!
Author George R. R. Martin made the announcement.
“We had four scripts in development when I arrived in L.A. last week, but by the time I left we had five,” George announced. “I do think it’s very unlikely that we’ll be getting four (or five) series. At least not immediately. What we do have here is an order for four — now five — pilot scripts. How many pilots will be filmed, and how many series might come out of that, remains to be seen. (If we do get five series on the air, I might have to change my name to Dick Direwolf).”
…………………. Until next week my lips are sealed! David H. W. Hartnell MNZM copyright 2017.
15th May 2017
I’m not one to gossip but………………Caitlyn Jenner has responded to criticisms that she doesn’t reflect the experience of most trans people.
The reality TV star and trans activist has been promoting her new book, The Secrets of My Life.
Asked by British newspaper the Guardian if she experiences male privilege, Jenner responded “Yeah! I would agree with that.”
The Trump backer continued: “I know the other side. I’ve been there all my life.
“But I want to use that to my advantage.”
“Some of the criticism that my community has had is that I’m white, I’ve got money, I’m privileged and all that kind of stuff.
“I get that. OK? Can’t do much about being white. Kind of born that way.
“Privileged? Yeah. I’ve worked hard all my life.
“I’ve tried to be as smart as I can and yeah, I’ve been successful from that standpoint.
“And I’m not going to apologise for that.”
“Not even close”, the Guardian reports, saying that she “chuckles”.
Jenner has previously come under considerable criticism for her support of President Donald Trump.
Now she has claimed she is “after” Trump if he attacks the LGBT community.
Speaking at an event in San Francisco, as part of the Commonwealth Club of California’s Good Lit series, she said: “I’m coming after them,” referring to Republicans.
“I will do it publicly. If he messes with us I will come after him.
“If he does stuff like that I will call him the most anti-LGBTQ president we’ve had.”
She said that she is not defined by being a Republican or Trump supporter, but by being a defender of the LGBT community.
Jenner transitioned two years ago, revealing her new look on the cover of Vanity Fair.
She became a huge hit and was celebrated for the bravery of going through the experience so publicly. However her TV series, I Am Cait, flopped in its second season, following a string of positive comments about the Republicans and President Trump that alienated some of her core fans.
Jenner had previously given her support to Trump, and argued he could be much better for the LGBT community than people gave him credit.
Following the decision to officially reverse Obama’s protections, however, she appeared to go off the maverick Republican.
Jenner had originally offered herself as a trans ambassador for the Trump administration.
Actor Geoffrey Bayldon, best known for playing Catweazle and Worzel Gummidge’s Crowman has passed away aged 93.” The Leeds-born star was a huge name in children’s television back in the 1970s, with the actor landing a string of iconic roles. He played eccentric wizard Catweazle in the show of the same name from 1970 until 1971, before landing yet another career-defining part in 1979. The star won legions of young fans for his role as The Crowman in Worzel Gummidge, a role he played until 1981. Some may also recognise Geoffrey for his role as Magic Grandad in BBC show Watch back in 1995
Geoffrey was also approached by the broadcaster to play the first Doctor in Doctor Who, though he rejected the role as he felt it was too old a character for him to play. He was also asked a second time, though the actor once again refused, instead opting for his role as Catweazle. The actor did go on to play a guest character in the hit sci-fi series in 1979, starring as Organon in The Creature From The Pit. But Geoffrey wasn’t just a star on the small screen, having more recently featured in hit movies such as The Avengers, Casino Royale and Tales Of The Unexpected.
Jennifer Aniston joked about how if Friends were made today, the episodes would just be everyone looking at their smart phones in the coffee shop.
“We were jokingly saying that if Friends was created today, you would have a coffee shop full of people that were just staring into iPhones…There would be no actual episodes or conversations,” Jennifer said on Arianna Huffington‘s new Thrive Global Products.
“If I think back before devices, I’m trying to think first, which came first, my bad sleeping habits or a device?” she continued. “I honestly think I used to sleep beautifully and I don’t think I attributed to the fact that these phones came into our lives that have actually started to disrupt our sleep.”
“I love what she said about if Friends was created today you would have a coffee shop full of people that were just staring into iPhones because it’s so true,” Arianna said later. “I think the way she talks about her relationship with her devices, her not being on social media and the way her day is so much better when she doesn’t start it by rushing to her phone and instead meditates and takes a few minutes for herself.”
Jesse Tyler Ferguson and husband Justin celebrated with champagne yesterday upon learning Modern Family has been renewed for two more seasons. He reveals that the couple wants to have at least one child and that he has stolen clothes from the set of Modern Family. We also find out how Jesse ended up with Sia’s wig at this year’s post-Oscars Vanity Fair party. Here he is on the Wendy Williams TV chat show in the USA.
“Dance Moms” star Abby Lee Miller is going to prison. The reality star was sentenced on Tuesday in a federal court in Pittsburgh to one year and a day behind bars for fraud. She’s also being fined $160,000 (US), and will be under supervision for two years following her release from a Los Angeles-area prison. Miller was in tears as the judge read her sentence.
Miller was first indicted in October 2015 for hiding income from “Dance Moms,” as she was going through a bankruptcy preceding that began in 2010. Miller was accused of concealing more than $755,000 (US) she earned from her TV shows, merchandise, and dance lessons at her Los Angeles studio. Some monies were hidden in a secret bank account, while part of her salary from “Dance Moms” was diverted to her mother in an effort to avoid its inclusion in her bankruptcy case. Miller also was previously busted for smuggling $120,000 (US) from Australia into the U.S. As a result of the twenty-plus fraud charges, Miller was facing up to five years in prison and fines totaling $5 million (US).
She took the stand in her own defense, and asked the judge for leniency. Additionally, her lawyers sought probation, arguing that Miller is a first-time offender, but the judge was unswayed. Now, the “Dance Moms” star is off to prison for a little more than a year.
Abby has broken her silence on her prison sentence during an interview with the TV show Good Morning America.
“A year and a day,” the 50-year-old reality star said. “It sounds like a movie title.”
After prison, Abby said she hopes to “be a smarter businesswoman and also to worry about myself.”
“I have spent so much time and so much energy making other people’s children stars. I didn’t have any children of my own…These were my kids and I raised them like they were my kids,” she continued. She claims her fraud charges were unintentional, saying, “I wasn’t ever trying to hurt anyone.”
She must surrender herself in 44 days and is going to get through the sentence by pretending it’s a film shoot. “I’m just going to pretend we’re shooting a movie and we’re on set and I’m there for 10 months, and that’s the way it’s going to be.”
Barry Manilow appeared on The Talk this week, one month after he opened up about being gay.
The legendary singer came out a month ago today after 40 years of being with his husband.
The 73-year-old entertainer, who has won Grammys, an Emmy and a Special Tony Award, has been married to his manager Garry Kief for two years.
The singer, famous for hits like Mandy, Copacabana and Looks Like We Made It, confesses in an interview that he hid his sexuality for years because he was worried about “disappointing” his primarily female fans.
He appeared on The Talk for the first time after coming out, chatting to out panellist Sara Gilbert and de facto gay icon Sharon Osbourne.
Gilbert said: “I want to talk about last month, when you bravely opened up to People Magazine about being gay and married to your long-time partner.”
After the audience cheers, Gilbert asked: “How is it to get that reaction and support?”
Manilow said: “Times have changed, to get a reaction like that!”
He added: “I kind of expected it. I would have been disappointed if I didn’t get that kind of reaction. My fans and the people who love me want me to be happy.
“I know it sounds odd, I’m a singer and a musician, but the people who have supported me over the years, they really seem to care about me and my happiness.”
Osborne said: “You are an American icon… you are beloved.”
Manilow quipped: “For years, I was be-hated… and now I’m be-loved.”
In a separate interview with UK TV host Lorraine Kelly, Manilow said the attention he’s received is “creepy”.
He said: “It’s been creepy, but you know, who cares? It doesn’t bother me.
“I still have my private life, but I am in the public eye no matter what I say. When I come home, I close the door and you can’t come in unless I invite you in.
“I don’t like people knowing what the names of my dogs are; I don’t like people knowing where I live. I’ve kept that to myself for all these years.”
Manilow, who is promoting his thirtieth studio album, explained previously that he remains “a private guy”.
He added: “I’m a musician. Yes, fame hit me, but I never really wanted to go on that ride.
“So I kept my dogs to myself – I kept my home to myself.”
He said he felt awkward talking about his private life, not about his sexuality.
“I’m not uncomfortable about that… Garry and I have been together going on 40 years. It’s amazing for anybody.”
Since he came out two weeks ago, Manilow said the reaction had been “great,” but said he thought that it was known to many people.
band – I think even fans.
“I don’t think it was news at all.
“But the Enquirer caught us getting married, so we were stuck. So we let People Magazine come on in.”
Manilow and Kief wed at their home in Palm Springs in April 2014.
Although reports were never officially confirmed, Manilow’s sexuality had already long been an open secret among the singer’s fans.
In his coming out interview with People Magazine, he said it was after news of his wedding broke that he began to realise he had underestimated his fans.
“When they found out that Garry and I were together, they were so happy. The reaction was so beautiful — strangers commenting, ‘Great for you!’” he said.
Kief is Manilow’s manager and president of Barry Manilow Productions, as well as his husband.
Manilow was previously married to his high school sweetheart Susan Deixler for a year.
He told People he had not been struggling with his sexuality during that marriage and that he was in fact “in love” with Susan, but he just hadn’t been mature enough to settle down
American actress Gal Gadot looks gorgeous on the cover of Marie Claire’s June 2017 issue.
Here is what the 32-year-old Wonder Woman actress shared with the mag:
On being a confident woman: “My mom raised my sister and me to be confident women with aspirations. And I always felt capable. I’m not saying that I’m stronger than most men…but we all have the same brains and we can achieve the same things.”
On life in Los Angeles vs. Israel: “When I first came to Los Angeles, I couldn’t read people. In Israel, people have chutzpah. People take issue with it, but I’d rather have that than play games. I prefer to know the truth, not waste time.”
On dealing with adversity: “I don’t enjoy conflict in my life. Unlike Wonder Woman, I’m not a fighter [but] I will fight for good.”
On her hope for equal rights for women: “There’s a long way to go until we can make gender a nonissue. I don’t know if it’ll ever happen. I’m hoping it will because life would be so much cooler and less complicated then. Also, for men, by the way.”
FYI: Gal is wearing a Chanel dress and a Chopard ring and earrings on the cover. She is wearing a Giorgio Armani dress in image one. She is wearing a Dolce&Gabbana dress, Tiffany & Co. bracelets, and Van Cleef & Arpels ring in image two.
For more from Gal, visit MarieClaire.com!
Don’t expect to see Donald Trump on The Ellen DeGeneres Show anytime soon – or ever.
The popular daytime television personality welcomed Trump’s predecessor, Barack Obama, onto her show many times throughout his two terms and at times he even danced.
But the deeply controversial Trump has gone too far right to share a stage with DeGeneres.
‘I’m not going to change his mind,’ DeGeneres said in an interview on NBC’s The Today Show..
‘He’s against everything that I stand for. We need to look at someone else who looks different from us and believes in something that we don’t believe in and still accept them and still let them have their rights.’
DeGeneres has spoken against action Trump’s administration has taken against protections for transgender students and on immigration laws, among other issues.
Here’s the clip in case you haven’t seen it:
Actress Jaime Winston has revealed Dame Barbara Windsor described her as ‘more me than me’ when she portrayed the former EastEnder star in a new film about her early life.
Told through a series of recreated flashbacks, the BBC drama, Babs, recounts the renowned singer and actress’s rise to fame since she first dazzled stage directors as a child.
But it also delves into the dark stories that plagued her personal life before she began her 22-year stint as Peggy on the soap – including her turbulent relationship with her beloved father and her rocky marriage to first husband Ronnie Knight.
The young Dame Barbara is played by Jamie, who ticked every box right down to the famous cheeky giggle
In fact; Winston revealed that her chuckle prompted Dame Barbara to suggest the young actress play her when she was just 15 years old.
Winston met her idol at a showbiz event and relayed how the EastEnders legend spotted the similarity between their giggles.
Dame Barbara turned around and told Winston, ‘You should play me’, the star told the UK newspaper The Mirror.
‘It is sort of magic how things turn out,’ Winston told the publication. ‘There are some parts that are out there and it is a terrible audition and you just cringe for a week.
‘And then there are some parts where you go, “This is my role, this is where I am meant to be”.’
Speaking at a special screening of the show in east London, she said: ‘Sometimes Barbara would be watching us filming and it was terrifying, I would look out and she would be there staring, and it was so surreal.
‘But once she came up to me and said, “Oh darling, you’re more me than me”, and that was a huge pat on the back.
‘She said, “At the end of the day, this is your role”. That’s what makes her even more amazing – this is her life story and she had the grace to sit back and tell me it was also my job.’
The 31-year-old added that the best tip Dame Barbara gave her was to ‘keep it camp’ as the film touched on her debuts in theatre and on TV, including her first run-in with Kenneth Williams on the Carry On set.
Dame Barbara, who will celebrate her 80th birthday in August, makes a cameo appearance in the film which was broadcast last week in the UK. Director Tony Jordan said of the special scenes: ‘I couldn’t resist, I knew she would be up for it.
‘There were moments in the script, such as a shot with all the guys (she had been close to) where I could hear her voice as I wrote it, saying “That’s not funny” – so I wrote that in.
‘Then there is the moment where she decides whether to invest in Ronnie, despite everything she had heard about him.
‘I knew that changed her life forever, like a fork in the road, and I wanted her to be there and acknowledge that moment.’
The biopic will chart Dame Barbara’s life from her upbringing in dirt poor Shoreditch, East London. She was the only child of a fruit and vegetable seller and a dressmaker.
The young Barbara made her stage debut at the age of 13 and was soon hooked on the theatrical life. Her first film role was in The Belles Of St Trinian’s at the tender age of 17.
She joined Joan Littlewood’s workshop at the Theatre Royal, Stratford East and was nominated for a BAFTA in 1963 film Sparrers Can’t Sing. But it was her role a year later in Carry On Spying which catapulted the young actress to national fame. I worked with Barbara many years back and I have to say she was a real hoot she never took herself seriously. This picture was taken in her back stage dressing room around 1973. I just watch the TV bio over the weekend; it was a very cleaver look back at Dame Barbara’s life. To date the TV bio has no date for screening here in New Zealand which is a great pity.
Debra Messing is on the cover of Haute Living New York’s new issue.
Here’s what the 48-year-old actress had to share with the mag:
On the Will & Grace reboot: “We need the show now more than ever…It was unique in how it cast light on issues in our culture that needed mending or strengthening. Everything happening culturally now will be fodder for the comedy.”
On returning to the Will & Grace set: “It was incredible and very emotional to walk on that set—every prop was still there. The original crew—the costumer, hair, and makeup—came back too.”
On actors she’d love to work with: “Meryl Streep. I mean come on, right? Viola Davis. She and I know each other from when we first got out of school—I was at NYU; she was at Juilliard. Viola is a beast of a talent.”
For more from Debra, visit HauteLiving.com.
Brad Pitt is looking very sexy on the new covers for GO Style magazine’s new issue.
Here’s what the 53-year-old actor had to share with the mag:
On quitting drinking: “I was boozing too much. It’s just become a problem. And I’m really happy it’s been half a year now, which is bittersweet, but I’ve got my feelings in my fingertips again….Truthfully I could drink a Russian under the table with his own vodka. I was a professional. I was good…. don’t want to live that way anymore.”
On his public split from Angelina Jolie: “I worry about it more for my kids, being subjected to it, and their friends getting ideas from it. And of course it’s not done with any kind of delicacy or insight—it’s done to sell. And so you know the most sensational sells, and that’s what they’ll be subjected to, and that pains me.”
On the last couple months with his divorce proceedings: “I was really on my back and chained to a system when Child Services was called. And you know, after that, we’ve been able to work together to sort this out. We’re both doing our best. I heard one lawyer say, ‘No one wins in court — it’s just a matter of who gets hurt worse.’ And it seems to be true, you spend a year just focused on building a case to prove your point and why you’re right and why they’re wrong, and it’s just an investment in vitriolic hatred….It’s just very, very jarring for the kids, to suddenly have their family ripped apart. If anyone can make sense of it, we have to with great care and delicacy, building everything around that… Our focus is that everyone come out stronger and better people — there is no other outcome. I see it happen to friends — I see where the one spouse literally can’t tell their own part in it, and it’s still competing with the other in some way and wants to destroy them, and needs vindication by destruction, and just wasting years on that hatred. I don’t want to live that way.”
On his tendency to take things too far: “For me this period has really been about looking at my weaknesses and failures and owning my side of the street. I’m an asshole when it comes to this need for justice. I don’t know where it comes from, this hollow quest for justice for some perceived slight. I can drill on that for days and years. It’s done me no good whatsoever. It’s such a silly idea, the idea that the world is fair. And this is coming from a guy who hit the lottery, I’m well aware of that. I hit the lottery, and I still would waste my time on those hollow pursuits.”
For more from Brad, visit GQ.com.
Thought you would enjoy these clip’s of Liberace and Phyllis Diller, good family TV….enjoy! Phyllis arrives on the set of the Liberace Show with her entire wardrobe. She has a conversation with Wallace and Liberace, then performs a brief stand up routine. From the 1969 Liberace Show filmed in London.
La La Land actress Emma Stone didn’t just respond to the teen who asked her to his prom — she sent him a present as well!
Jacob Staudenmaier, a 17-year-old from Scottsdale, Arizona, in the USA created an elaborate La La Land-inspired video as a prom-posal for his favorite actress, hoping against the odds for a response of any kind. The elaborate video quickly went viral, and eventually even caught Emma‘s attention.
While she regretfully could not attend the soirée, Emma did respond to the video, telling him she “smiled through that entire beautifully orchestrated video.” Now she has gone one step further, sending Jacob a corsage for his date and a boutonniere for himself!
“Jacob, a little something for you and your lucky date,” she wrote in the accompanying note. “Have a great time! Much love.”
Baywatch actress Kelly Rohrbach is on the cover of Cosmopolitan magazine’s June 2017 issue.
Here’s what the 27-year-old actress had to share:
On her role in Baywatch: “I wasn’t interested in playing the hot-girl role. I didn’t want her to be an object but rather a dynamic, real person.”
On the Baywatch swimsuits: “It’s scuba material, which is awesome because it’s literally like wearing Spanx that suck you right in. I was like, cheeseburgers, no problem. Just zip that thing up and it’s like it never happened.”
On her type: “Originally, my romantic interest, played by Jon Bass, is a Jonah Hill type. It was written that he had a big crush on [C.J.] and she’s kind of a bitch to him. I kept thinking, I would love this guy. I would hook up with him. He’s the funniest character, and to me, humor is the sexiest thing.”
For more from Kelly, visit Cosmopolitan.com.
Miley Cyrus is Billboard Magazine‘s latest cover star – and is sharing tons of details about her life.
This is what the 24-year-old musician said to the mag:
On her upcoming new music: “This record is a reflection of the fact that yes, I don’t give a fuck, but right now is not a time to not give a fuck about people. I’m giving the world a hug and saying, ‘Hey, look. We’re good — I love you.’ And I hope you can say you love me back.”
On quitting smoking weed: “ I haven’t smoked weed in three weeks, which is the longest I’ve ever [gone without it]. I’m not doing drugs, I’m not drinking, I’m completely clean right now! That was just something that…I wanted to do. I like to surround myself with people that make me want to get better, more evolved, open. And I was noticing, it’s not the people that are stoned. I want to be super clear and sharp, because I know exactly where I want to be.”
On wanting to be taken seriously as a country artist: “I’m down for hanging with Blake Shelton. I actually want to take advantage of the fact that he’s there, [because] his fans don’t really take me seriously as a country artist. One, I haven’t given them that music. But I’ve got a tattoo of Johnny Cash’s autograph that he gave me when I was a little girl that says, ‘I’m in your corner.’ Dolly Parton is my fucking godmother. The fact that country music fans are scared of me, that hurts me. All the nipple pastie shit, that’s what I did because I felt it was part of my political movement, and that got me to where I am now. I’m evolving, and I surround myself with smart people that are evolved.”
Miley‘s new single “Malibu” will be dropping next week.
For on Miley, head to Billboard.com
A DISCO DIVA + A CONVENT OF NUNS
= A NEWLY FOUND SISTERHOOD
A MUSICAL COMEDY THAT WILL ROCK THE RAFTERS
25 November – 16 December, 2017
ASB Waterfront Theatre, Auckland
SISTER ACT, THE MUSICAL
A woman hiding in a convent helps her fellow sisters
find their voices as she rediscovers her own. This
feel-good comedy smash is based on the hit film
Inspired by the Whoopi Goldberg smash-hit movie, SISTER ACT, THE MUSICAL is today announced for the ASB Waterfront Theatre this November and December.
SISTER ACT, THE MUSICAL has all the glamour and energy that you should expect from a Broadway blockbuster – thrilling scenery, gorgeous costumes, snappy one-liners and heart-pumping dance numbers.
The feel-amazing musical comedy, SISTER ACT, THE MUSICAL features all new original music by TONY and 8-time Oscar winner Alan Menken (Beauty And The Beast, The Little Mermaid, Aladdin).
Tickets to this strictly limited season of SISTER ACT, THE MUSICAL are on sale Monday, 15 May via ShowTicketsNZ.com and Ticketmaster.
SISTER ACT, THE MUSICAL tells the hilarious story of Deloris Van Cartier, a wannabe diva whose life takes a surprising turn when she witnesses a crime and the cops hide her in the last place anyone would think to look- a convent!
Under the suspicious watch of the Mother Superior, using her unique disco moves and singing talent to inspire the choir, Deloris breathes new life into the church and community but in doing so, blows her cover. Soon, the gang is giving chase only to find them up against Deloris and the power of her newly found sisterhood.
Produced by the Amici (Phantom of the Opera, Evita), this production will feature NZ Idol finalist Keshia Tunks in the lead role as Deloris. Driven, multi-talented and an ever-inspiring singer and songwriter, Keshia’s effervescent energy and charisma light up the stage.
Filled with powerful gospel music, outrageous dancing and a truly moving story, SISTER ACT, THE MUSICAL will leave audiences breathless. A sparkling tribute to the universal power of friendship, SISTER ACT, THE MUSICAL is reason to REJOICE!
From 25 November – 16 December
ASB Waterfront Theatre
*…………………. Until next week my lips are sealed!
David H. W. Hartnell MNZM copyright 2017.
8th May 2017
I’m not one to gossip but……………… Are Ellen DeGeneres and Portia de Rossi “at odds” over Drew Barrymore? That’s the claim in one of this week’s American gossip tabloids.
After stating that DeGeneres and Barrymore have been friends for many years, the National Enquirer notes how the two are now working together on a new TV series called “First Dates,” which the talk show host is producing and the actress is narrating. The magazine then alleges that ever since working together on this series, Barrymore and DeGeneres have grown “closer than ever,” and it’s push de Rossi to a “$350 million (US) split” from her wife of eight years. A so-called “source” tells the tabloid, “Portia is threatened by Ellen’s relationship with Drew.” The publication’s alleged insider further claims the two women have an “emotional bond” that’s disturbing to de Rossi.
To bolster its entirely unfounded premise, the outlet publication then tries to make an argument for why DeGeneres and Barrymore are actually more compatible than the talk show host is with her own wife. Its questionable source maintains that Barrymore and DeGeneres have “the same goofy sense of humor,” while de Rossi is much “more serious.” The tabloid casually adds the completely untrue and unsubstantiated rumour that DeGeneres and de Rossi’s marriage is in trouble. Of course, it’s been the Enquirer that has been churning that false narrative for years.
And to lend credence to its false assertions, the magazine simply regurgitates one fake news story after another that it has published, all of which has debunked. The outlet ends its article with its same supposed “source” saying that Barrymore and DeGeneres have a “strong connection,” and it’s become apparent that de Rossi is now the “odd woman out.”
The only thing that’s apparent is that the tabloid has terrible de Rossi and DeGeneres sources. More than a year ago, the unreliable magazine declared on its cover that they were divorcing And before that fabrication, the publication made a slew of verifiably false claims, including that DeGeneres agreed to have a baby and move to Australia to save her marriage. Sadly, it seems nothing can save the supermarket tabloid from publishing lies about the happy couple.
The Magic Moments Family Comedy Magic Show is back!
After a sold out last year, the must-see Magic Moments show is back at the lovely Rose Theatre in Belmont on Auckland’s North Shore for one day and two shows only : Saturday 3rd of June, 2PM and 7PM. Hosted by the Brotherhood of Auckland Magicians, the show features magic, comedy, fun and illusion for the whole family. The best value show in town! Adult tickets just $15, children’s tickets $10, family concession $50. Please book early as these shows will sell out.
Tickets on sale now by visiting www.MagicMoments.co.nz
I thoroughly recommend “Magic Moments”, it’s a great piece of theater for the entire family. Go and be totally mystified, trust me you will not be disappointed!
Josh McDermitt has decided to delete all of his social media accounts after receiving death threats over his character on The Walking Dead.
The 38-year-old actor plays Eugene on the hit show and his character drastically changed during the seventh season, and fans were not happy.
In his last Facebook Live video, Josh told fans and cyberbullies not to confuse his real identity with the character he plays on TV.
“Don’t send me death threat,” Josh said. “I’m just sick of it. You can hate Eugene, I don’t care. You can think whatever you want, but when you start saying you hope I die, I don’t know if you’re talking about Josh or Eugene.”
Season eight of The Walking Dead will premiere in October in the USA.
Ivanka Trump isn’t just a nebulous presidential advisor/first daughter/sweatshop benefactor, she’s also an author!
Her book, Women Who Work: Rewriting the Rules for Success, went on sale Tuesday, and the reviews have hit like a piano dropping from a tenth story window. She previously stated that her intentions behind the book are to “inspire you to redefine success and architect a life that honours your individual passions and priorities.”
The critics have a slightly different take on her self-help drivel.
Here’s what they’re saying:
Jennifer Senior of the New York Times writes:
Self-actualization is the all-consuming preoccupation of “Women Who Work.” In this way, the book is not really offensive so much as witlessly derivative, endlessly recapitulating the wisdom of other, canonical self-help and business books — by Stephen Covey, Simon Sinek, Shawn Achor, Adam Grant. (Profiting handsomely off the hard work of others appears to be a signature Trumpian trait.) For a while, it reads like the best valedictorian speech ever.
Related: Twitter reads Ivanka Trump for filth after she’s booed on stage!
Business Insider’s Kate Taylor has a similar take:
The book […] reads like a mashup of countless essays and articles written in the past decade aimed at female entrepreneurs.
That isn’t to say all the advice is bad — it’s just that little is new. The book borrows heavily from books like Sheryl Sandberg’s “Lean In,” Joanna Barsh and Susie Cranston’s “How Remarkable Women Lead,” and backlogs of IvankaTrump.com.
NPR’s Danielle Kurtzleben offers a more subtle read:
Often, the melange of quotes and how-to lists give the book more the aesthetic of a Pinterest board than a career guide.
Related: Ivanka’s book should be called “Women Who Work… In My Sweatshop For $1 An Hour”
And Beth Teitell of the Boston Globe is particularly shady:
Ivanka’s life seems pretty smooth, but in her book she reveals struggles, like the time Anna Wintour heard that she was about to graduate from college and called out of the blue with a job offer, a challenge familiar to many aspiring writers.
Mashable’s Chris Taylor went right for the jugular in his review, titled “We read Ivanka Trump’s insufferable new book so you don’t have to”:
Here is proof that a female CEO can write a business book that is just as bad — just as padded with bromides and widely-known examples and self-promotion and unexamined privilege and jargon — as one written by an overconfident male CEO.
All things considered, she may not want to quit her day job.
Wait… what is her day job?!
Cher is set to receive the Icon Award at the 2017 Billboard Music Award!
In addition, the 70-year-old entertainer will be performing her 1998 “Believe” – her first awards show performance in 15 years!
“I’m honoured to receive the 2017 Billboard Music Awards Icon Award and take the stage to celebrate my love of music with my fans,” Cher said in a statement. ”Seeing so many powerful artists — especially female artists emerge and take their place in history through the years — has been incredible. I’m honoured to be amongst the previous Icon Award winners and to celebrate this milestone achievement by performing ‘Believe’ on the show.”
“Cher’s incredible talent has inspired both audiences and other artists for more than six decades,” Allen Shapiro, CEO of Dick Clark Productions, said. “Her impact on the industry has been monumental and unlike any other. We are honored to celebrate her exceptional career with the 2017 Billboard Music Awards Icon Award and look forward to what’s sure to be an extraordinary, once-in-a-lifetime performance
Dolly Parton is caught up in a shameful cover-up — with insiders claiming she used her fame and fortune to bury her family’s drug secrets and help fight their addictions!
The country legend spent thousands on rehab stints for her drug-addicted niece, Tever Parton. “Dolly would try to keep Tever’s behavior quiet as much as possible,” says Tever’s baby daddy, Anthony Rose Lynch.
According to Anthony, Dolly’s tried to downplay the troubles of her brother Randy, too. Anthony also claims an employee at the jail in Sevierville, Tenn., is a key player in the plot to cover up the criminal behavior of Dolly’s relatives.“I don’t know if he’s from that Parton family, but he claims to be,” Anthony says. “He works at the jail, and makes sure their public record isn’t on file. You can’t see or get the records. Tever’s former partner claims such behavior is typical of law enforcement in Sevierville Where Parton family records conveniently go missing.
Anthony says: “The Partons have so much influence, they could do what they want, and get away with it!”
Brad Pitt is not being “eaten alive by a rare disease,” despite an absurd new report alleging the actor is secretly battling a life-threatening illness.
Many tabloids have been making a needlessly big deal about the actor dropping a few pounds in the wake of his divorce from Angelina Jolie, and now the National Enquirer purports that a “mystery ailment” is responsible for his weight loss. A supposed “source” at the art studio frequented by the actor tells the magazine he’s looking thinner by the day and “disappearing before our eyes.”
The outlet’s questionable source goes on to contend that Pitt is “very weak” and often “moves around like an old man in pain,” adding that his friends believe an infectious disease is the cause of his alleged health woes. It’s been with a trustworthy source close to the actor, who exclusively assures he’s not sick with a “rare disease” and the magazine’s report is all “lies.”
This latest article is yet another entry in the tabloids’ phony ongoing narrative about Pitt’s well-being. It was recently busted the Enquirer’s sister publication, OK!, for also wrongly reporting that Brad was suffering a health crisis.
These fake news stories seem to have been concocted because Brad looks a bit skinnier as of late, but his thinner frame isn’t at all a cause for concern. An insider close to the actor is doing well, and all of these reports alleging his health is deteriorating are simply untrue
You may or may not know that Julia Roberts has been named by 2017 World’s Most Beautiful Woman by People magazine – the fifth time in her career she’s received the honour!
The 49-year-old actress first covered the mag back in 1991 when she was 23 years old – just one year after Pretty Women skyrocketed her to fame.
“People say, ‘Oh, when Pretty Woman came out it must have really changed your life,’ and it’s kind of become this joke, but the truth is I was out of town when Pretty Woman came out…I was in another movie in this tiny little town that was showing Star Wars in its first run. I remember reading … ‘Pretty Woman came out this weekend and made this much money’ and I thought, ‘Is that a lot of money? Is that good? Is that great?’ I didn’t really know,” Julia said.
“I mean every day my husband walks in the door it’s like a recurring dream. I’m like, ‘Ah, he’s back!’” Julia joked. She also said on the honor, “I am very flattered.”
Are Baywatch stars Dwayne Johnson and Zac Efron worried the upcoming R-rated reboot is too raunchy? That’s the claim in one of the Gossip tabloids.
Unlike the original TV series, the big-screen Baywatch remake will be full of crude humor and nudity, but the US gossip magazine the Star is now claiming the film’s leads regret having worked so blue. A supposed “source” tells the magazine that Efron “saw how raunchy the final version was and went into a tailspin” because the movie “could easily get banned in huge [international] markets” and hurt its box office.
The outlet’s questionable insider further purports that Johnson, who’s one of the film’s producers, is also concerned about its adult content because he “just inked a movie deal with Disney.” The alleged source goes on to say the actor is now “frantically trying to scale it back in the editing room” to remove some of the off-color material.
What the outlet fails to mention, however, is that Johnson has been championing the reboot’s hard R-rating ever since the movie was first announced. The actor has repeatedly promoted the film’s bawdiness on Twitter, including the promise it has “enough rated R raunch comedy that’ll make one of my boyhood heroes, Richard Pryor very proud.” In a recent interview, he also added, “We worked hard to make sure the flesh quota was high, there’s more gratuitous boobs, bums, abs, whatever per minute than you can imagine.”
Both Johnson and Efron, and we’re told the Baywatch stars were eager to make an R-rated comedy and are very happy with the final product.
Arnold Schwarzenegger is honoured with one France’s highest awards for his environmental work!
The 69-year-old former governor of California was recognized by French President François Hollande with the Legion d’Honneur at the Élysée Palace in Paris, France.
The Legion d’Honneur is awarded to military and civilian personnel for distinguished service to France, but is not exclusively awarded to French citizens.
“Thank you, President @fhollande, for making me a Commander of the order of the Legion of Honour for my environmental work,” Arnold wrote on Twitter
Ryan Reynolds was stopped by the famous Humans of New York instagram account at the 2017 Met Gala, and he spoke all about his wife Blake Lively.
“She always responds with empathy. She meets anger with empathy. She meets hate with empathy. She’ll take the time to imagine what happened to a person when they were five or six years old. And she’s made me a more empathetic person. I had a very fractured relationship with my father. Before he died, she made me remember things I didn’t want to remember. She made me remember the good times,” Ryan told the photoblog about his wife.
If you don’t know, Humans of New York is a photoblog, and also a book, that features street portraits and interviews of real people collected on the streets of New York City.
Kelly Osbourne is opening up about all of her health scares, including an epilepsy diagnosis and her Lyme Disease.
“I didn’t even know, because of my past, it made me look like the boy who cried wolf and my parents and my family and my friends always call it my traveling pain. And then one day I had a seizure while I was filming Fashion Police. And I had a three-and-a-half minute grand mal seizure. Through all the testing that they did in the hospital, they found that I had scarring on my brain, so they assumed that I had been having more seizures and not knowing. And they told me that, don’t worry, everybody in this world at one point in their life has a seizure and they don’t know,” Kelly explained, “I don’t know how true that is. And they diagnosed me with epilepsy. They put me on brain tranquilizers, a medication called keppra, and I would only have about two hours of lifetime a day. I had my driver’s license taken away and… And I was, like, this is awful and then I had a side effect, so they gave me medication for that side effect, and that gave me aside effect, so they gave me a medication for that side effect. I had this bag of pills that was so big and one day I was just, like, I can’t do this anymore. And I took it to my mom and I said, mom, you know, I’ve never been one to say no to a pill, but I can’t do this. There’s no way.”
Kelly also revealed why she hid her Lyme Disease for so long.
“Because people would–thought my behavior was–they blamed it on my past, like, drug usage. Like, they thought that, oh, she’s just doing drugs again, oh, she’s relapsed or she’s doing this or that. And nobody believed me. So I was a bit nervous. And until I was informed enough about it and then seeing so many people suffer from it and knowing–meeting other people that also had it, you really start to realize how huge of a problem this is. And there’s not enough information out there about it for people and there’s so many people suffering from it,” she added.
Sofia Vergara’s marriage to Joe Manganiello is not over, nor was she “caught cheating” on him, despite a new tabloid cover story. This story and cover shot come from the fake news file.
In addition to falsely announcing Vergara cheated and her marriage is “over,” the new cover of the American gossip magazine Star also touts a “divorce shocker.” All three assertions are complete lies. And inside the issue, the tabloid actually backs away from its “divorce” contention, instead alleging “friends fear” the couple’s relationship may be “on the rocks.” That’s far different from the declarative cover.
So, what’s supposedly going on? The gossip magazine alleges Vergara and Manganiello’s 17-month marriage has hit a “breaking point” after she was “caught getting cozy with another man.” Now, contends the publication, they’re “on the verge of calling it quits.” The outlet points to photos from Rome last month of Vergara talking and dancing with Andrea Iervolino, one of the producers on her latest film. The outlet even quotes a so-called “friend” as speculating Manganiello was “devastated” when he saw the pictures.
But because the tabloid doesn’t actually know Manganiello’s reaction or the state of his marriage, it resorts to citing this supposed source, who makes the assumption that the snapshots “could be an indication that their marriage may be in serious trouble.” Of course, real journalists would look into these possibilities instead of having a purported “pal” guess how Manganiello “could” or “may” have reacted and then theorize what it might mean for the relationship.
While the magazine acknowledges that Vergara and Iervolino were at a party held at a public hotel with other people from their production, the outlet still cites a supposed “eyewitness” who insists, based on their alleged “chemistry,” “you couldn’t help but wonder if Sofia had been cheating on Joe during her time abroad.” Again, a reputable publication would have investigated if there was any truth to such infidelity claims, not run a cover story based on what some unidentified spy “wondered.”
The outlet goes on to speculate there’s also hidden meaning in Vergara later stepping out with only her engagement ring and not her wedding band, and even claims her romantic history makes these allegations “not that surprising.” The aforementioned “friend” further contends to the tabloid that he or she “heard” Manganiello wants a “breather,” and asserts this “could be the straw that breaks the camel’s back.”
Basically, while the publication’s cover declares the marriage is “over,” the actual article is filled with speculation about what “could be,” all based on pictures of Vegara at an event for her movie. And it’s not true Manganiello found the photos of his wife to be “humiliating” for him. A rep for the actor exclusively says the contention is “100 percent false.”
Search for Kiwi kids to play von Trapp children
Hundreds of Kiwi kids are expected to apply to become Captain von Trapp’s children in the upcoming nationwide tour of THE SOUND OF MUSIC.
Producers today announce that auditions will be held in Christchurch on Saturday 20 May at the Isaac Theatre Royal for a tour that will take in 20 cities in September and October this year.
WHAT THEY’RE LOOKING FOR
They are looking for two teams of children to play the youngest six von Trapp children: Gretl, Marta, Brigitta, Kurt, Louisa and Friedrich.
The children will be paid for their roles as it is a fully professional production, produced by Ben McDonald Ltd, and under the direction of former Shortland St star Geraldine Brophy. [email protected]
Children must be at least 10 years of age, and be able to sing, dance and act. Boys must have unbroken voices to able to sing in the required vocal range and can be of any nationality or ethnicity.
AUDITIONS | WHERE | WHEN | WHAT
Place: Gloucester Room at the Isaac Theatre Royal, Christchurch
Date: Saturday 20th May
Apply for your audition time by emailing: [email protected]
Recall Auditions for some children: From 3pm to be advised via email after the initial audition.
What to Wear: Comfortable clothes and shoes that you can move in. No stage make-up required.
Where, when & how
Month Day City Venue Time Ticketing agent
September 29 Lower Hutt Lower Hutt Little Theatre 7pm Ticketek
30 Carterton Carterton Events Centre 3pm & 7pm www.eventfinda.co.nz
Oct 1 Napier Municipal Theatre 3pm & 7pm Ticketek
4 Kerikeri The Centre 7pm The Centre
5 Whangarei Forum North 7pm Ticketek
7 Takapuna Bruce Mason Centre 3pm & 7pm Ticketmaster
8 Hamilton Clarence St Theatre 3pm & 7pm Ticketek
9 Tauranga ASB Baypark Arena 7pm Ticketek
10 Gisborne Memorial Hall 7pm Stephen Jones Photography
11 Rotorua HMPAC 7pm Ticketmaster
13 Wanganui RWOH 7pm RWOH
14 New Plymouth TSB Showplace 3pm & 7pm Ticketek
15 Palmerston North Regent on Broadway 4pm Ticketdirect
16 Kapiti Southwards Theatre 7pm Ticketek
17 Wellington Opera House 7pm Ticketek
19 Ashburton Event Centre 7pm Ticketdirect
20 Timaru Theatre Royal 7pm Ticketek
21 & 22 Chch Isaac Theatre Royal 3pm & 7pm Ticketek
23 Blenheim ASB Theatre 7pm Ticketdirect
24 Nelson Theatre Royal 7pm Ticketdirect
25 Nelson Theatre Royal 7pm Ticketdirect
27 Dunedin Regent Theatre 7pm Ticketdirect
28 Invercargill Civic Theatre 3pm & 7pm Ticketdirect
29 Oamaru Opera House 4pm Ticketdirect
- This legendary Rodgers and Hammerstein musical features an unforgettable score that includes some of the most famous songs ever performed on the musical stage including “My Favorite Things”, “Edelweiss”, “Do-Re-Mi”, “Sixteen Going on Seventeen”, “The Lonely Goatherd”, “Climb Ev’ry Mountain”, and the title song “The Sound of Music”.
- THE SOUND OF MUSIC tells the uplifting true story of Maria, the fun-loving governess who changes the lives of the widowed Captain von Trapp and his seven children by re-introducing them to music, culminating in the family’s escape across the mountains from Austria.
- The musical originally premiered on Broadway in 1959 to record-breaking advance ticket sales, where it won eight Tony Awards – including “Best Musical”. The show opened in London in 1961 and became the longest-running American musical of its generation. The 1965 Hollywood film, which starred Julie Andrews and Christopher Plummer, won five Oscars, including “Best Picture”, and quickly became the highest-grossing film in history. Even today, THE SOUND OF MUSIC remains the most successful movie musical in history.
- Since the turn of the 21st century, the enduring magic of THE SOUND OF MUSIC has lead to major productions around the world, giving testament to its title as “The World’s Most Popular Musical”.
24 arenas and theatres around New Zealand this November & December
The greatest dance floor musical of all time, SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER,will tour New Zealand this November and December.
Today’s announcement coincides with the 40th anniversary of the release of the film starring John Travolta — spawning a decade of disco, fuelled by Bee Gees hits including Stayin Alive, Disco Inferno, More than a Woman, You Should Be Dancing and Jive Talkin.
SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER is the iconic coming-of-age story of young Tony Manero who learns the value of life in 1970s Brooklyn. By day he is a humble paint store clerk but at night he turns into the polyester-clad king of the local discotheque. He uses the dance floor as an escape from the reality of his dead-end job, clashes with his unsupportive and squabbling parents, racial tensions in the local community, and his association with a gang of dead-beat friends.
This contemporary retelling of the classic story captures the energy, passion and life-changing moments that have thrilled movie audiences since 1977. Now, a new generation of talented actors, singers and dancers meets a new generation of theatre-goers to explore the soaring sounds and pulsating rhythms of this coming-of-age disco fantasy
Combining some of the most groundbreaking choreography ever with the best-selling motion picture soundtrack of all time, SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER will be staged in 24 arenas and theatres around New Zealand as the ultimate end of year party event.
“Hit song after hit song, bright lights and dancing to blow you away.” —BBC
From the producer of New Zealand tours of Grease, South Pacific, HMS Pinafore and the upcoming Sound of Music, the pre-sale for this production starts today. See below for ticketing details.
Producer Ben McDonald says he is thrilled to be touring this iconic show.
“Saturday Night Fever is a touchstone for a generation,” says McDonald. “When you see the amazing dance moves and hear all the hits, you can appreciate why it became one of the greatest jukebox musicals of all time.”
HERE’S WHERE & WHEN — GET GROOVING NEW ZEALAND
Nov 16 Kerikeri The Centre 8pm The Centre
17 Auckland ASB Theatre Aotea Centre 8pm Ticketmaster
18 Tauranga ASB Arena 8pm Ticketek
19 Rotorua HMPAC 8pm Ticketmaster
21 Wanganui RWOH 8pm RWOH Box Office
22 Taupo Great Lake Centre 8pm Ticketek
23 Gisborne Memorial Theatre 8pm Ticketdirect
24 Napier Municipal 8pm Ticketek
25 Palmerston North Regent 8pm Ticketdirect
26 Wellington TSB Stadium 8pm Ticketek
28 Rangiora Town Hall 8pm Ticketek
30 Oamaru Opera House 8pm Ticketdirect
Dec 1 Invercargill Civic Theatre 8pm Ticketdirect
2 Gore SBS St James Theatre 8pm www.iticket.co.nz
3 Dunedin Regent Theatre 8pm Ticketdirect
5 Timaru Theatre Royal 8pm Ticketek
6 Ashburton Trust Event Centre 8pm Ticketdirect
7 Christchurch Horncastle Arena 8pm Ticketek
9 Nelson Theatre Royal 8pm Ticketdirect
10 Nelson Theatre Royal 4pm & 8pm Ticketdirect
12 Blenheim ASB Theatre 8pm Ticketdirect
13 Kapiti Southwards 8pm Ticketek
14 New Plymouth TSB Theatre 8pm Ticketek
15 New Plymouth TSB Theatre 8pm Ticketek
16 Hamilton Claudelands Arena 8pm Ticketek
17 Whangarei Forum North 4pm & 8pm Ticketek
…………………. Until next week my lips are sealed! David H. W. Hartnell MNZM copyright 2017.
1st May 2017
I’m not one to gossip but………this week is trivia week in Hollywood, so let’s get into the swing of things. Here is some Hollywood Trivia you can drop into a conversation and kill it stone dead– enjoy!
What’s in a Hollywood Name?
A Hollywood star must have the right kind of name one the public will remember, that looks good in lights, a name that’s not too long, or difficult to pronounce, or simply unglamorous. Here’s how some stars got their names.
- Actress Jude Law was named after the Beatles song Hey Jude.
- Christopher Guest who’s Jamie Lee’s husband is a real life English Lord, he became the 5th Lord Haden-Guest when his father died back in 1966. So by rights you should always address Jamie as Lady Haden-Guest.
- Avid painter and long time singer Tony Bennett signs his painting’s under his family name, Anthony Domenick Benedetto.
- Whoopi Goldberg’s real name is Caryn Johnson. School classmates nicknamed her Whoopi Cushion and her mum suggested switching cushion to Goldberg so she’d be taken seriously as an actress.
- Pretty Woman star (born Julie Roberts) joined the American Screen Actors Guild; she found another Julie Roberts already listed, so she became Julia.
- When “Frasier” star David Hyde Pierce moved to Hollywood and joined the Screen Actors Guild, he discovered there was another David Pierce, so he began using his middle name as well.
- Cybill Shepherd was named after her grandfather Cy and her father Bill.
- Marie Osmond’s first name is really Olive. Some how Olive Osmond doesn’t have the same ring as Marie Osmond.
- Richard Burton, born Richard Jenkins, was the last of thirteen children born to a Welsh coal miner in the unpronounceable hamlet of Pontrhydfen. At school his drama coach, Phillip Burton, took young Jenkins under his wing, and later in life Richard assumed his mentor’s name.
- Shirley MacLaine says her mother was such a fan of Shirley Temple that she was named after her.
- Joseph Keaton got the nickname ‘Buster’ when he was six years old. He fell downstairs, and Harry Houdini, a family friend, said to his father, ‘That was some buster he took falling down the stairs.’ Little did Harry know he had just named one of the greatest comic stars ever?
- Some stars have added an extra letter or two to their birth names.
- Dionne Warwicke added an ‘e’ to her last name; Lauren Bacall added an ‘I’ to her last name.
- Rita Hayworth added the ‘y’.
- Vivien Leigh’s first name was originally spelt with an ‘a’.
- Stage manager Sydney Carroll thought changing it to an ‘e’ would make her appear more feminine to her fans.
- Barbra Streisand dropped an ‘a’ from Barbara; Carole Lombard added the ‘e’.
- Audrey Hepburn-Ruston added an ‘e’ to her first name and dropped Ruston.
- Irene Dunne added an ‘e’ to her last name; Warren Beatty added a ‘t’.
- It was a man called Gordon Mills who turned Raymond O’Sullivan into Gilbert O’Sullivan, Thomas Jones Woodward into Tom Jones and Arnold Dorsey into Engelbert Humperdinck. Arnold was the ninth of ten children born to a British Army officer, who was stationed in Madras, India, when Arnold was born.
- Some cartoon characters have also started life with a different name. Mickey Mouse was born Mortimer Mouse; Goofy was first known as Dippy Dawg; Happy Rabbit changed his name to Bugs Bunny and Tom, of Tom and Jerry fame, was first named Jasper.
- Actress Mariel Hemingway was named after a bay in Cuba.
- Paul was the real name of the original Lassie, and every Lassie since has been given the nickname Paul.
- Elton John, born Reg Dwight, took his stage name from two of his friends, Elton Dean and Long John Baldry, whom he played with in a band in grammar school. He was the very first superstar to admit to being bisexual.
- Conway Twitty created his stage name by combining the names of towns in Arkansas and Texas.
- Bette Davis was nearly given the name Betting Dawes by a Hollywood agent.
- Top Italian model Sofia Scicolone was later to become actress Sophia Loren.
- It took Carol Jane Peters quite a while to come up with a star quality name. She was sitting in a coffee shop when she looked across the road and spotted a pharmacy called Lombardi Pharmacy on Lexington Avenue and 65th Street in New York. And so the actress Carole Lombard was born.
- In his early vaudeville days George Burns worked under the names of Willie Delight, Captain Belts and Buddy Links.
- In the 1930s and 40s it was very fashionable to have a middle initial, a trend followed by quite a few movie directors of the day. Here’s what their middle initials stood for: Cecil Blount DeMille; David Oliver Selznick; Louis Burt Mayer; Darryl Francis Zanuck; Irving Grant Thalberg.
- Wladziu Valentino Liberace used the name Walter Buster Keys at the start of his piano-playing career; but later changed it to Liberace.
- American radio announcer Bob Smith thought his name was far too boring, so in the 1960s he changed it to Wolfman Jack, and he’s never looked back.
- Some hopeful stars changed their Christian names into surnames; for example, Allen Stewart Konigsberg became Woody Allen and Malden Sekulovich became Karl Malden. Some changed their first names:
|Sari||Zsa Zsa Gabor|
- In 1925 the MGM studios held a nationwide contest to rename their latest starlet find, Lucille Le Sueur. Well over 20,000 names were sent in, and the winner chose the name Joan Arden. The studio liked the name, but later found out they already had an actress signed up whose real name was Joan Arden, and so Lucille’s name was changed to Joan Crawford.
- Dustin Hoffman’s mother was a great fan of the silent cowboy movie star Dustin Farnum, who starred in the first full-length movie ever, made in Hollywood. That’s where Dustin gets his name.
- Walter Matuschanskayasky renamed himself Walter Matthau, but in ‘Earthquake’ (1974), where he played a cameo role as a drunk, he was billed as Walter Matuschanskayasky for a laugh.
- Actress Swoosie Kurtz was named after a B-17 World War 11 plane which her father flew.
- Francis Rose Shore took her stage name, ‘Dinah’, from the song of the same name, which was suggested to her by Eddie Cantor while she was working on his radio show.
- Lauren Bacall’s mother, Natalie Weinstein, changed her name to Bacall because it means wineglass in Romanian. Later Lauren added the extra “l”.
- Have you ever wondered how River Phoenix, the young Hollywood actor, got his name? His parents were hippies in the 1960s and named him after the River of Life in Hermann Hesse’s book Siddhartha. They took their surname, Phoenix, from the mythical bird which burnt itself but rose from the ashes to live again. Incidentally River’s brothers and sisters also have names reminiscent of flower-power days; Leaf, Rainbow, Summer and Liberty.
- When they were making the first Jaws movie, the cast and crew nicknamed the shark Bruce, a name, which stuck through all the sequels.
- Thaddeus Wladyslaw Konopka changed his name to Ted Knight in 1947 by picking a name out of the LA phone directory. He was careful to select a name with the same initials as his own, so that he didn’t have to change his luggage.
- Some early Hollywood stars became so famous that they were known by their ”nicknames”:
|Bing Crosby:||the Groaner|
|Frank Sinatra:||Ol’ Blue Eyes|
|Jimmy Durante:||the Shnozz|
|Clara Bow:||the ‘It’ Girl|
|Betty Grable:||the Pin-Up Girl|
|Rita Hayworth:||the Love Goddess|
|Jeanette MacDonald:||the Iron Butterfly|
|Clark Gable:||the King of Hollywood|
|Veronica Lake:||the Peek-a-boo Girl|
|Charlie Chaplin:||the Little Tramp|
|Lana Turner:||the Sweater Girl|
|Dorothy Lamour:||the Sarong Girl|
|Carmen Miranda:||the Brazilian Bombshell|
|Jean Harlow:||the Platinum Blonde|
|Greta Garbo:||the Sphinx|
|Rudolph Valentino:||the Sheik|
|Doris Day:||the Professional Virgin|
- Glen Ford, born Gwyllen Ford, named himself after his father’s birthplace in Canada a little Quebec town called Glenford.
- Doris von Kappellhof was named Doris Day by bandleader Barney Rapp, whose favourite song was ‘Day After Day’, which Doris had sung many times with the band.
- It was just as well that British James Stewart decided to change his name to Stewart Granger before American James Stewart got into movies.
- Maurice Joseph Micklewhite got his stage name from the movie The Caine Mutiny. We know him as Michael Caine.
- Roy Scherer had his name changed to Rock Hudson by his agent Henry Wilson: Rock after the Rock of Gibraltar, and Hudson after the mighty river in New York.
- Harry Crosby came up with his movie name ‘Bing’, remembering the comic strip he always read as a child, The Binguille Bugle.
- Actress Judy Holliday was born Judith Tuvim. The word tuvim in Hebrew means holiday.
- One German comedian changed his name to Charlie Kaplin, and became a much-loved comic in Germany. Charlie Chaplin tried to sue him, but failed. A movie actor in Hong Kong changed his name to Bruce Li, and is now finding fame and a lot of fortune following in the footsteps of the late Bruce Lee.
- Most people know that John Wayne’s real name was Marion Michael Morrison, but the name on his birth certificate is Marion Robert Morrison.
- Movie mogul Sam Goldwyn was born Samuel Goldfish.
- The Marx brothers all took their first names from a comic strip called Mager’s Monks.
- American actor Bud Flanagan thought his name was terrible and lacked star quality, so he changed it to Dennis O’Keefe. Miles away in London, British actor Robert Winthrop changed his name to Bud Flanagan. They did not know each other.
- Is it any wonder that Rudolpho Alfonzo Raffaelo Pierre Filibert Guglielmi di Valentino d’Antonguolla changed his name to Rudolph Valentino?
- Marilyn Monroe got her Christian name from her 20th Century-Fox agent Ben Lyon, because of his admiration for the actress Marilyn Miller. Monroe was her mother’s maiden name.
- Little Frances Gumm selected her stage surname from the pages of a Chicago newspaper, where she read reviews by Robert Garland. She took her first name from the Hoagy Carmichael song ‘Judy’, which was one of her favourites.
Love, Marriage And Divorce
- In Paris, Sophia Loren married Carlo Ponti, who was still married to his wife in Italy; the year was 1996,
- Exactly nine months after Elvis Presley married Priscilla on May 1st, 1967, Lisa Marie Presley was born.
- When Sharon Glass married in 1990 she wore a copy of the gown Katharine Hepburn had wore in the 1940 movie The Philadelphia Story.
- 1990 saw a number of movie stars fall in love with each other on the set.
- Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman, “Days Of Thunder” – Kiefer Sutherland and Julia Roberts, “Flatliners – Warren Beatty and Madonna, “Dick Tracy” and Nicholas Cage and Laura Dern, “Wild At Heart.”
- Following Joan Collins celebrated divorce from Peter Holm in December 1986, 11 months after their wedding. Joan was noticed wowing London in low cut gown flashing a cleavage that appeared more pneumatic than usual. An English tabloid newspaper speculated that Joan had augmented her already imposing bustline; she threatened to sue the paper, but never got around to taking the case to court.
- When Elizabeth Taylor married Larry Fortensky, in 1992, a construction worker whom she’d met while at the Betty Ford Clinic, Mrs. Nancy Reagan gave them a silver cake server as a wedding gift. One observer was over herd to say, “Considering Liz has continually battled an eating problem, that really takes the cake”.
- Jack Ryan, the sixth husband of Zsa Zsa Gabor, created Barbie the teenage doll.
- On December 15, 1990, Rod Stewart married kiwi model Rachel Hunter in Los Angeles.
- Loni Anderson was a runner-up in the 1965 Miss Minnesota pageant. Still a teenager, she married the brother of the contest winner after a two-week courtship. They had a daughter, Diedra and divorced less than a year.
- Ronald Reagan met Nancy David in 1950 when, as president of the American Screen Actors Guild. They married on March 4, 1952; William Holden was their best man.
- In 1992 when Elizabeth Taylor threw her wedding bouquet over her shoulder, songwriter Carol Bayer Sager caught it. Elizabeth snatched it right back and sent it the next day to be permanently preserved by a special chemical process. While married to her then husband Larry Fortensky, the 200-rose bouquet was displayed behind glass at her home.
- Cher once said being married to Greg Allen was ‘like going to Disneyland on acid. You knew you had a good time, but you can’t remember what you did’.
- After a broken romance a 21 year old Elton John tried to commit suicide but it was, in his words, “ a Woody Allen-type suicide” – he turned on the gas and “left all the windows open.”
- When former TV “Partridge Family” teen idol David Cassidy (41 at the time) married his songwriter girlfriend Sue Shifrin, (42 at the time) at a private ceremony in Los Angeles, their two-month-old son Beau was their best man.
- In 1971 a group of gay pranksters in Manhattan Beach, California, came up with the idea of holding a theme party. They sent out invitations in the form of a wedding announcing the marriage of Rock Hudson and TV’s “Gomer Pyle” star Jim Nabors. One of the joke invites got into the hands of a Los Angeles show business gossip writer, who went ahead and wrote a blind item referring obliquely to the “marriage” of two Hollywood males, one ‘like the Rock of Gibraltar,” the other “like your neighbor.” Suddenly this rumor gained huge momentum, bringing all kinds of so called witnesses coming forward to insist they’d been at the wedding.
- About the same time there were rumors surfacing about Rock’s rather less discreet pursuit of male casual sex. From the time of the article being publish, and the wedding rumors going rife, Rock was never seen in public with Jim; even though the two men had been friends for years. Rock was even reluctant to go to Hawaii, where Jim had a home. A few months after the invitations had been sent out for the so-called lavish double ring wedding ceremony, there was a statement issued denying the entire event, the two former friends didn’t speak for the rest of Rock’s life.
- Tommy Lee and Pamela Anderson where married twenty days after they first met.
- Warren Beatty has held the title of Hollywood Sex Symbol for more than twenty-five years. His romantic involvement’s had been well publicized in every gossip column, with just about every eligible woman in Tinseltown. Here are some of his better known celebrity dates over the years: Mary Tyler Moore, Jackie Onassis, Jane Fonda, Goldie Hawn, Faye Dunaway, Joan Collins, Catherine Deneuve, Britt Ekland, Diane Keaton, Kate Jackson, Joni Mitchell, Vivien Leigh, Vanessa Redgrave, Diana Ross, Jean Seberg, Madonna, Barbra Streisand, Elizabeth Taylor, Natalie Wood, Cher, Candice Bergen, Julie Christie, Brigitte Bardot. When Warren dumped singer/songwriter Carly Simon, she wrote the smash hit song ‘You’re So Vain’ and dedicated it to him.
- John Travolta and Diana Hyland (who was eighteen years his senior) were a hot item around Hollywood; they had one of the most publicized affairs ever. It all ended tragically when she died in John’s arms while he was filming Saturday Night Fever in 1976. He was only twenty-two at the time.
- Robert Redford proposed to his wife from a pay phone in New York.
- Howard Hughes and Elizabeth Taylor became a dating twosome in Hollywood when she was only seventeen.
- Ethel Barrymore turned down Winston Churchill’s proposal of marriage.
- Rita Hayworth was already pregnant with her daughter Princess Yasmin when she married Prince Aly Khan in 1949.
- George Sanders married Zsa Zsa Gabor in 1949 and divorced her in 1954. He again found love in the Gabor family and married her sister Magda in 1970. The marriage to Zsa Zsa, her third, lasted only six weeks. To this day Zsa Zsa says he was the love of her life. George once said of the marriage: ‘Life with Zsa Zsa is like living on the slopes of a volcano. Very pleasant between eruptions.’
- In October 1977 actor John Ritter married actress Nancy Morgan. The morning after their wedding night John had an early start on his TV sitcom ‘Three’s Company’, and as a protest at having to work while on honeymoon he turned up on the set in his pajamas.
- When Diahann Carroll married her white talent manager, Monty Kay, her family was so shocked that her father would not attend the wedding, even though it was held at her family’s church in Harlem.
- American TV viewers knew Farrah Fawcett long before ‘Charlie’s Angels’ came along; they saw her selling more than 100 products, from Wella Balsam to Ulta Brite. During this time she met a handsome young pro football star turned actor, Lee Majors. They were married in 1973 but separated in 1979.
- Angie Dickinson, who starred in TV’s ‘Police Woman’ was born Angeline Brown in Kulm, North Dakota. ‘Dickinson’ came from her marriage to American football star Gene Dickinson; they were married while still at college. Angie kept her married name and used it professionally, even while married to her second husband Burt Bacharach. A leading fashion magazine once asked her if she dressed for success. She replied, ‘I dress for women – and I undress for men.’
- Katharine Hepburn was married in 1928 to Ludlow Ogden Smith, a wealthy French-educated Philadelphia socialite. Before she would marry him, she made him change his name to Ogden Ludlow so that she would not have to be known as Mrs. Smith. Their marriage was short lived; they parted company soon after the honeymoon, but did not divorce until May 1934. When asked about her marriage by a reporter, Katharine said, ‘Was I ever married? I really can’t remember. It certainly wasn’t for very long.
- When Sophia Loren was co-starring with Cary Grant in Houseboat she flatly turned down a marriage proposal from him. Three years later to the very day she married Carlo Ponti who was twenty-one years her senior, not to mention four inches shorter. They were married in Mexico but the Italian government and the Vatican refused to recognize Carlo’s Mexican divorce from his wife. During the following nine years he spent some $2 million in legal fees so that they could become French citizens and remarry under French law.
- Mel Gibson is very much a married man; he and his wife Robyn celebrated their twentieth year of marriage in 2000. Mel call’s home an 800-acre cattle farm in Australia. Mel is well known for his zany impressions of Hollywood stars; Sylvester Stallone, Marlon Brando and James Cagney are among his favourites. Mel doesn’t think much of his worldwide sex symbol image. ‘If my wife thinks I’m sexy, it means a lot more to me.’
- Artie Shaw and Mickey Rooney tie for the record of the most married men in Hollywood, both having been married eight times. Stan Laurel was also married eight times, but his marriages involved only four women, two of whom he married three times.
- 1943 saw the Hollywood marriage of the decade; Charlie Chaplin, fifty-four, married Eugene O’Neill’s eighteen-year-old daughter Oona. It was generally agreed that the marriage would not last. Months before, Charlie had been sued for child support in a paternity suit brought by Hollywood starlet Joan Barry. Even though blood tests indicated that Charlie could not be the father, a jury decided that he was. This scandal, on top of his reputed radical politics, finished his American movie career.
- Richard Burton was fifty-eight, twenty-one years older than his wife Sally was when he died at their Swiss home. They had been married only thirteen months, having met eighteen months earlier during the making of a TV mini series called ‘Wagner’. Richard was the star and Sally a production assistant.
- In the movie The Entertainer (1960) Joan Plowright played the daughter of Laurence Olivier. In real life they were husband and wife.
- Only two Hollywood actresses have married royalty; Rita Hayworth married Prince Aly Khan in 1949, and Grace Kelly married Prince Rainier in 1956.
- The voice of the computer in the TV series ‘Star Trek’ was Majel Barrett, whose husband was Gene Roddenberry, creator/producer of the series.
- Lucille Ball’s first husband Desi Arnaz was six years her junior. In the smash hit TV series ‘I Love Lucy’, his age was always older than hers and in real life the age difference was never discussed.
- Singer Jane Froman, who survived a plane crash in the early 1940s, later married the pilot who saved her life.
- Actress Maureen O’Hara married Charles Blain in March 1968 for the third time. In 1951 Charles became the first man to fly solo over the North Pole in a single-engined aircraft.
- English actress Lesley-Ann Down is married to William Friedkind who directed The Exorcist and The French Connection. As soon as their son Jack was born, Lesley took a year off acting, which meant she lost the female lead in the TV series ‘The Thorn Birds’; it went to her good friend Rachel Ward.
- In 1963 Eddie Fisher, then Elizabeth Taylor’s husband, was paid $1,500 a day by the studio to see that his wife got to work on time. She was starring in Cleopatra at the time.
- In 1974 Liza Minnelli married Jack Haley Jr. Jack Haley Sr. played the Tin Man in The Wizard of Oz and escorted Liza’s mum, Judy Garland, down the yellow brick road. Liza and Jack divorced in 1978.
- The three wives of American TV talk show host Johnny Carson have been named Joan, Joanne and Joanna.
- Composer Lord Lloyd-Webber’s first two wives were both called Sarah. His second, Sarah Brightman, was a dancer in his London production of Cats; he later fell in love with her when he heard her sing Rachmaninov in Russian.
- Mickey Rooney’s first wife was Ava Gardner.
- Singer Pat Boone married the daughter of country and western singer Red Foley.
- Greer Garson married Walter Pidgeon in nine movies, but in real life they never tied the knot.
- When Elizabeth Taylor married her seventh husband, John Warner, she told the press, ‘I don’t think of John as husband number seven. He’s number one all the way, the best lover I’ve ever had!’
- Wallace Beery was married to Gloria Swanson for only three weeks.
- Alfred Hitchcock and his wife were married for fifty-six years, which in Hollywood is quite a record.
- In The Detectiue (1968) Frank Sinatra sacked his then wife, actress Mia Farrow, from the movie and replaced her with Jacqueline Bisset.
- Actress Joyce Mathews could never quite make up her mind about her husband’s. She married Milton Berle in 1941, divorced him in 1947, remarried him in 1949 and divorced him again in 1950. Then she married Billy Rose in 1956, divorced him in 1959, remarried him in 1961 and divorced him in 1963.
- Australian actor Paul Hogan and his wife Noelene were divorced in 1981 but remarried six months later. Paul eventually left his wife to marry Linda Kozlowski, his Crocodile Dundee co-star.
- When Joan Collins was asked about her first marriage to actor Maxwell Reed, she said, ‘That ended after twelve months in 1952 when the bastard tried to sell me to a sheik for $20,000.’
- Lyricist Alan Jay Lerner was married eight times.
- Hollywood’s greatest divorce scandal erupted in 1949, when Ingrid Bergman filed for divorce from Dr Peter Lindstrom, having found romance and true love with Italian movie director Roberto Rossellini. At the time her unconventional behavior, including premarital pregnancy, was headlines all over the world. Today in Hollywood it wouldn’t even be noticed.
- The largest alimony claim ever filed in Los Angeles was by twenty-three-year-old Sheika Dena, who filed for $3 billion from her twenty-eight-year-old husband, Sheik Mohammed Al-Fassi, for part of the property they had accumulated since their marriage. The court awarded her $81 million, which she settled for. The Sheik is part of the Royal Family of Saudi Arabia.
- Every time Joan Crawford changed her husbands, she would cut them out of every picture in the house, then change every toilet seat, and finally even change the name of her house. She did not want anything to remind her of them ever again.
- About fifty years ago it was discovered that not all Stan Laurel’s comic genius was saved for his movies. Stan’s Russian wife Illenana testified in the American divorce court that Stan once dug a grave in their back yard and tried to bury her alive. She went on to say that Stan brought one of his ex-wives along on their honeymoon to reminisce. And yet another ex-Mrs. Stan Laurel sent Illenana a congratulatory telegram warning her to get out of the marriage while she could, because Stan was severely unbalanced.…………………. Until next week my lips are sealed! David H. W. Hartnell MNZM copyright 2017