- #1720233BJB May 25, 2019 at 2:17 pm
CREAMY MUSHROOM AND THYME PASTA
Serves 2 – double if necessary
150g pasta tubes
2 Tbsp butter
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, sliced
4 field mushrooms, sliced thickly
1 courgette, sliced thinly
1 Tbsp chopped fresh thyme
½ cup cream
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Parmesan to garnish
1. Cook the pasta in a pot of boiling salted water as per packet instructions.
2. Heat the butter in a frying pan. Add the onion and garlic cooking for 3 or 4 minutes to soften. Add the mushrooms and courgette and continue to cook until the mushrooms are soft.
3. Pour in the cream, add the thyme and season generously with salt and pepper. Cook for 4 minutes until the cream boils.
4. Serve on the hot pasta tubes with garnish of parmesan.#1720234BJB May 25, 2019 at 2:19 pm
There must be plenty of, Quick and Easy Dinners or Lunches, recipes, that you may like to share.
Please fell free, to share them. BJB
🙂#1720235BJB May 25, 2019 at 2:29 pm
Asparagus and Pea Rissoto: Serve 4.
2 bunches asparagus
1L vegetable stock
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 onion, diced
1 cup arborio rice
1 cup peas, thawed
1 Trim the asparagus. Slice the spears into half centimetre slices, leaving the tops longer for garnish.
2. Heat the stock in a medium-sized saucepan and simmer the asparagus for 1-2 minutes, or until they are just al dente. Remove the asparagus from the stock with a slotted spoon and set aside.
3. Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy-based saucepan over a medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 3-4 minutes until soft but not brown. Stir through the rice for 1 minute until the grains are coated evenly.
4. Add the warm stock, 1 cup at a time, letting the liquid absorb between each addition. Make sure the rice is always just covered. After 15-20 minutes remove the pot from the heat.
5. When the rice is cooked, add the butter, peas and asparagus pieces. Toss to combine, warm through and season to taste.
6. Serve immediately, in large bowls.#1720290BJB May 26, 2019 at 8:11 am
Lemon Fish with Leek risotto:
4 Tbsp Olive Oil
3 Leeks, washed and sliced
2 cups Arborio Rice
1L Vegetable Stock, warmed
1/2 cup grated Parmesan
salt and freshly ground black pepper
3 Tbsp each: Butter, chopped Parsley, finely grated Lemon zest, lemon juice
500g skinned and boned Fish Fillets, halved
How to Zest, Peel and Segment Citrus
Heat the oil in a large saucepan over moderate heat. Add the leeks and cook for about 5 minutes or until golden.
Add the rice and stir for 1 minute. Slowly add 1 cup of the warmed stock and stir constantly until all the liquid has been absorbed. Repeat this process, adding the stock a cup at a time and only when all the liquid has been absorbed, until the rice is creamy and soft. This may take up to 20 minutes. If you need more liquid use warm water.
Stir in the parmesan and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover and set aside.
Heat the butter, parsley and lemon zest in a non-stick frying pan. Add the fish and cook for 2-3 minutes each side. Pour over the lemon juice. Serve with the risotto.
You can use other White Fish of your own preference. 🙂#1720301BJB May 26, 2019 at 12:51 pm
Seafood Gumbo: A Luncheon Dish if wished.
1 onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, 1 green pepper, deseeded and chopped
1 chorizo or spicy sausage, sliced
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1 bay leaf
420g can Wattie’s Condensed Tomato Soup
400g can Wattie’s Mexican Style Tomatoes
500ml (2 cups) vegetable stock
250g firm white fish, cut into pieces (Hoki, Lemon fish)
250g raw prawn meat
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1. Heat a dash ofoil in a large saucepan and add the onion, celery and green pepper and cookover a moderate heat, stirring frequently until the vegetables are soft but notbrowned.
2. Add chorizo,thyme, bay leaf and continue cooking for a further 2 minutes.
3. Add Wattie’sCondensed Tomato Soup, Wattie’sMexican Style Tomatoes and vegetable stock. Bring to the boil.Reduce heat and simmer gently for 20 minutes.
4. Add theprepared seafood and continue simmering until the seafood is just cooked, about3-6 minutes. Stir through the chopped parsley and serve in bowls accompaniedwith crusty bread.
Note: There aredifferent types of chorizo, for a mild spicy heat use a milder sausage. Forthis recipe we used a very spicy chorizo which gives a smoky spicy hot note to thegumbo.#1720439BJB May 27, 2019 at 2:25 pm
Easy Apricot Stirfry:
1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
1 teaspoon canola oil
1 cup fresh snow peas
6 tablespoons apricot preserves
1/4 cup water
1 garlic clove, minced
1-1/2 teaspoons sesame oil
1 teaspoon sesame seeds, toasted
1 teaspoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
Hot cooked rice
In a large skillet or wok, stir-fry chicken in canola oil for 3 minutes. Add the snow peas, preserves, water, garlic, sesame oil, sesame seeds, soy sauce, ginger and mustard. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5-7 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink and vegetables are tender. Serve with rice.#1720443BJB May 27, 2019 at 2:35 pm
Quick Hoisin Chickem Noodles:
200g wide dried rice noodles
2 tbs vegetable oil
500g chicken thigh fillets, thinly sliced
150g sugar snap peas, trimmed
1 red capsicum, cut into thin strips
1 bunch Woolworths Mini Asparagus, halved, or ½ bunch regular asparagus, quartered
1 long red chilli, deseeded, finely chopped
5 spring onions, sliced
1/3 cup hoisin sauce
2 tbs soy sauce
¼ cup Homebrand Salted Roasted Cashews, roughly chopped
1. Cook noodles as per pack instructions.
2. Heat half the oil in a wok over medium-high heat. Cook chicken, in batches, for 3 minutes until golden and cooked through. Transfer chicken to a bowl and keep warm.
3. Heat remaining oil. Cook the peas, capsicum, asparagus, chilli and spring onion (reserving a little to garnish) for 2 minutes. Add chicken, sauces and noodles. Toss to combine. Cook for 1 minute to reheat. Serve topped with reserved spring onion and cashews.
Use a bag of ready to stir-fry traditional vegetables – it’s a great time-saver and good value, too.#1720517BJB May 27, 2019 at 6:29 pm
¼ cup milk
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 small red onion, finely sliced
1 bag Wattie’s SteamFresh Green, Butter and Edamame Beans/or own choice
50g traditional feta, crumbled
2 sundried tomatoes, chopped
Preheat oven to grill on high.
Beat together eggs and milk. Season lightly with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Heat oil in a small (20cm diameter) oven proof frying pan. Add red onion and cook over a medium heat until soft. While the onion is cooking microwave Wattie’s SteamFresh Green, Butter and Edamame Beans according to bag instructions.
Scatter the cooked vegetables over the onion with the crumbled feta and sundried tomatoes. Pour over egg mixture.
Cook over a medium low heat until the eggs are almost set. Place the pan under the grill and cook until the top is golden and eggs are fully set, this will take 3-4 minutes. Serve with a crisp green salad and tomato relish if wished.
Speedy Vegetarian Fritta.#1720579BJB May 28, 2019 at 12:49 pm
I’ve always loved a good steamed pudding. The simplest of these is steamed jam pudding. But they do take hours to steam and sometimes you fancy a quick method to make a steamed pudding. So here’s an easy microwaveable recipe for you to try today.
Quick and Easy Steamed Sponge ( Microwave )
28 grams/1oz margarine
28 grams/1oz sugar
1 egg, beaten
56 grams/2oz self-raising flour
2 tablespoons of syrup (or jam, or lemon curd)
Method for Microwave Steamed Pudding
Place the jam in the bottom of a small microwave dish/basin – I always use a 1 pint Pyrex jug.
Beat all the other ingredients together until they are smooth.
Spoon the pudding mix over the jam.
Cover the dish with a microwaveable lid or cling film (pierce it).
Place in your microwave and cook on medium power for 2½ – 3 minutes.
Leave to stand for 3 minutes before turning out into a bowl.#1720672BJB May 29, 2019 at 2:29 pm
2 tsp chopped fresh ginger
2 Tbsp lemon juice
2 tsp fish sauce
2 tsp sweet chilli sauce
1 tsp sesame oil
2 carrots, sliced into ribbons with a vegetable peeler
2 courgettes, sliced into ribbons with a vegetable peeler
½ capsicum, finely sliced
500g fish fillets
4 Tbsp chopped coriander
Mix ginger, lemon juice, fish sauce, sweet chilli sauce and sesame oil together.
Place the carrot and courgette ribbons in a shallow microwave-proof dish and cover with capsicum.
Place the fish fillets on top.
Pour the sauce over the top of the fish.
Microwave on high for 2 minutes then repeat for 2 minutes at a time until the fish is cooked through.
Garnish with chopped coriander and serve.
Microwave Fish Dinner: Serves 4
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.