Chicken is a staple in the kitchen – it is an excellent source of protein, a cost-effective way to feed a group and can be combined with almost anything.
Bacon has been called the ‘duct tape of the kitchen,’ as it makes anything better, and avocados have become an integral part of many menus (even though they are priced like gold at the moment).
When you combine all three, magic happens! Try this tasty trio for dinner and you may well receive a standing ovation for your troubles.
For four servings, you will need:
- 4 chicken breasts, butterflied or pounded thin
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup guacamole (make your own, by mashing avocado with chilli, coriander, garlic, lemon juice and spring onions, or use a ready-made variety)
- 8 slices bacon
- Lay the chicken flat, season well with salt and pepper, and spread 1/4 of the guacamole on each of the chicken breasts, roll them up tightly and wrap each one in two slices of bacon.
- Warm oil in a frying pan and brown all over for a few minutes, then place in the oven, preheated to 200C until the chicken is cooked (20-30 minutes).
- Serve with a salad and fresh cornbread