- 1 1/4 cups self-raising flour
- 2/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 40g butter, melted
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 cup pitted dried dates, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Icing sugar and custard, to serve
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 25g butter, finely chopped
Preheat oven to 180°C. Lightly grease an 8 cup-capacity oven-proof dish.
Sift flour into a bowl. Add sugar. Make a well in centre. Add butter and milk. Stir to combine. Fold in dates. Spread mixture into prepared dish. Sift cinnamon over top of mixture. Place dish on a baking tray.
Make sauce: Place boiling water, sugar and butter in a heatproof jug. Stir until butter has melted. Pour boiling water, over the back of a large metal spoon, over mixture. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until top has set.
Stand for 5 minutes. Dust with icing sugar. Serve with custard.