A stunning chutney, perfect with cold meat, toasted sandwiches, cheese or anything really. It also makes a thoughtful gift for loved ones.
- 1kg red fleshed plums, halved, stoned and finely chopped
- 3 onions, finely chopped
- 100g dried cranberries or raisins, roughly chopped with an oiled knife
- 1 tbsp finely grated ginger
- 1 tbsp black mustard seed
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 400ml red wine vinegar
- 500g light muscovado sugar
Put all the ingredients, except the sugar, into a large pan and stir well. Bring slowly to the boil, then reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 10 mins, until the plums are tender.
Stir in the sugar plus 2 tsp salt and keep stirring until it has dissolved. Boil the chutney for 20-30 mins, uncovered, stirring occasionally to prevent it catching on the bottom, until it is thick and pulpy.
Pot into sterilised jars, seal, label and store for at least 2 weeks before eating. Will keep for up to 6 months in a cool dark place.