- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup pumpkin purée
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup split red lentil purée*
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp cardamom
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Place rack in the centre of the oven. Line a muffin pan with papers.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, pumpkin purée, brown sugar, lentil purée, canola oil, apple juice, and vanilla until smooth. In another large bowl, stir together flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir just until incorporated. Scoop into muffin cups to about three-quarters full and sprinkle with pumpkin seeds.
- Bake for 20-23 minutes, until the tops spring back when lightly touched and a toothpick inserted in the centre of a muffin comes out clean. Let muffins cool in the pan on a wire rack for about 5 minutes, then remove the muffins from the pan and let cool completely on the rack.
* To make split red lentil purée, place cooked lentils into a food processor, or blender. For every 1/2 cup of lentils, add 1/8 cup water. Blend to make a smooth purée.