EASY – Serves 4-6 people
This recipe is relatively easy to cook, and always goes down well with the family. It looks great and provides a good mix of mild flavours for all ages and palates to enjoy. We often tuck in to this after a day at the beach or after a busy day of kids’ sports, especially when it is just not quite sunny or warm enough to light up the barbie! An apple juice and lemonade mocktail or a chilled glass of Pinot Gris accompanies this dish well.
- 350-375g Rice
- 450-500g Pork Schnitzel (Cut into 2-3cm strips)
- 450-500g Large Prawns (Cooked and peeled)
- 1 Onion (Diced or sliced)
- 8-10 Button Mushrooms (Quartered or sliced)
- 2 tsp Crushed Garlic
- 2 tbsp Hoisin Sauce
- 2 tbsp Dark Soy Sauce
- 2 Cups Pre-Frozen Stir Fry Veg
- Bring a medium pan of water (approx. 1 litre) to the boil and add the rice. Reduce the heat and continue simmering covered for approx. 18-20 minutes, or until the water has evaporated and the rice is cooked
- While the rice is cooking, drizzle some cooking oil around the bottom of a large frying pan and add the crushed garlic, diced or sliced onion, and a little salt and pepper to taste.
- Once the onion has softened and started to brown, add in the pork and the button mushrooms.
- Cook the pork for around 4-5 minutes until no longer pink, and then add in 2 cups of pre-frozen stir fry vegetables, the prawns along with the hoisin and dark soy sauce.
- Continue to mix the stir fry for a further 5-6 minutes until cooked through.
- Drain and add the cooked rice to the frying pan and mix altogether over heat for a final 2 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
By Wilf Crock