Channel your inner Parisian with this delicous tart. Enjoy as a canape, an entre or as the French would with a glass of red wine.
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large onions
- 2-3 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2-3 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1-2 sheets puff pastry
- Heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the sliced onions and stir continuously until softened, about 8 to 10 minutes. Sprinkle in the salt, add the sliced mushrooms and continue stirring until the onions release their moisture and the pan becomes more and more dry. When this happens, add half of the thyme and the balsamic vinegar and reduce the heat to medium low. Cook the veggies, stirring occasionally, until caramelized and golden, about 20 -25 minutes or so. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 200 C.
- Grease a 20c, round pie dish and trim the pasty to fit. If you like a thinker base you can use two seets of pastry rather than one.
- Add the onion, mushrooms, thyme mixture to the pie dish and spread out evenly.
- Bake the tart for about 25 to 35 minutes, until the pastry is golden brown and flaky.