This rich and delicious casserole will have you coming back for seconds!
680g good stewing steak
55g butter or oil
1 Large onion, sliced
1 Clove of garlic
285 ml Stock or water
15 gms flour
Salt & pepper
6 Thin rounds of bread
Mustard and vinegar or French mustard
- Trim meat removing all fat and cut into even squares.
- Heat oil or butter in pan, and brown meat quickly on all sides.
- Add onions and fry until brown.
- Add crushed garlic, and fry lightly.
- Pour off surplus oil or butter, sprinkle in flour and brown slightly.
- Add stock or water, ale and seasoning.
- Place in casserole dish with lid, and cook at 170 degrees for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- When cooked spread rounds of bread with mustard and vinegar or French mustard and press down into gravy.
- Return casserole to oven for about 15 minutes without the lid and allow bread to brown slightly.
Recipe courtesy of member – Spike