You’ve got to love the internet for searching out great ideas. Recently, this popped up as a way of clearing your drawers of old t-shirts (we’ve all got waaaaay too many squirrelled away, too old to wear out in public, too familiar and comfortable to part with), and needs to be shared!
Pillows eventually wear out, or you want to have a change around in your bedroom or lounge. So, gather up your best pre-loved t-shirts that you’ll never realistically wear again, and turn them into cushion covers. That way, you can snuggle up on the couch and add a bit of your own fashion sense to your home.
Here’s how you do it:
- Lay your old shirt out flat and cut a large square out of the front and back.
- From there, cut four small squares out of the edges and cut some strips of fringe.
- Lay a pillow into the middle of the ‘back square’ and lay the ‘front square’ over the top of the pillow.
- Tie the pieces of fringe together to form a cushion cover.
- Either knot the fringe tightly, or leave to hang loose.
Viola! There you have it. This is a great way to make a temporary change for a special occasion, or to personalise a room if you have someone coming to stay (grandchildren would love seeing their old clothes turned into bespoke decorations when they have a sleepover at Grandma’s).
You’ll also have some spare room in your drawers – just in time to go t-shirt shopping for the new spring colours!