This article is part of the Property & Housing topic. Below are more articles in this topic.
This article has been submitted by a GrownUps member. GrownUps accepts no liability for its content and the views and information contained within are not necessarily those of the GrownUps website.
Planning a kitchen renovation can be a daunting and time consuming process. There are so many things and trades to bring together. Getting the right company can be crucial to achieving your dream kitchen.
1. Do your research. Ask around your friends, get some recommendations. Have a think about what you ‘need’ and what you would ‘like’. Maybe jot down a few rough floor plans.
2. Appliances. Think about having a raised oven. Under bench dish drawers can be much easier to access than standard dishwashers. An appliance cabinet with a roller or bi-fold door can hide away toasters etc while not in use.
3. Take this opportunity to move and increase the number of power points in your kitchen. You never seem to have them in the right place or have quite enough do you…? Maybe you need a spot to recharge phones.
4. Get your kitchen company to project manage for you. Here at Stylehouse Kitchens we have a host of tried and trusted tradesmen available for you to utilize. We can coordinate the plumbers, builders, electricians etc so the job runs as smoothly as possible.
5. There are many options available for corner cabinets. A pull out system can save a lot of clambering around in the dark looking for you favorite flan dish!
6. Consider a pull out bin under the bench. I find having an bin drawer next to the sink to be very handy indeed.
7. A set of drawers in the base of your pantry can provide very useful storage. Organizing your ingredients has never been easier!
8. Will the workmen at your house be clean and tidy? Ask if they will take away all the rubbish at the end of the job and if they will clean up at the end of each day.
9. A stone or Stainless steel benchtop will last a lifetime and is worth the extra investment. Granite or similar composite is hard wearing and heat/water proof so is ideal for use around the sink and hob areas. Often a template will have to be made once your kitchen units have been installed. This can lead to a wait of a few weeks until your kitchen is finished. Ask if you can have temporary tops installed and possibly a sink plumbed in for your connivance.
10. Ask for your cabinets to be fitted to the ceiling. This costs a little extra but eliminates the need to clean that nasty little dust trap between the top of the units and the ceiling.